Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Compiz story end

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Compiz story end

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    My feeling is that Sam never really wanted to be the lead compiz developer. When the first version of Unity came out and was based on mutter, Sam planned on stopping work on compiz, and was going to create plugins that worked with it.

I personally think that his time as the lead compiz developer was pretty tough on him, and from the sound of it, is happy to be done with it.

I had been following that story since Oneric .. err or since Precise alpha. I think he did his best from what I have experienced at this end of the VT.

And of course now mentions of KWin. I have a raring install of Kubntu on a system that has a Nvidia graphics card that will only work with Lucid. None of the Unity releases, but, with Kwin I have all the effects of compiz on that old card as I would with a newer model card (or close to it). I just do not understand the demarcation lines as to why Kubuntu Raring will work and Unity Raring will not. I mean to say ... where is the handshaking here.

Sam did mention something about competitiveness and how he did not want to be a part of that because of fragmentation (I guess) but I think that these kind of arguments brings out the best of the community as a whole.

My view is that the compiz effects are an excellent 'assistive technology' for the Desktop PC. Compiz has always enhanced the desktop experience with older graphics cards where proprietary OSes could not. I mean, why obsolete a good thing?

*edit*

I have to append my comments here concerning Kwin on a certain install. After updating it ripped (nvidia-96) from the repos and now all desktop effects cannot be loaded.

A sign of the times ??
    Last edited by ventrical; January 8th, 2013 at 04:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

*cough* Unity 2D *cough*

QML-based. Fast on all hardware. OpenGLES compatible. Mobile ready. And IIRC already used for Ubuntu TV.
    1) ASUS GL702ZC: Ryzen 1700, 32GB, RX580, MATE@Manjaro-x64
    2) Lenovo X230: Core i5-3320M, 4GB, Intel HD4000, Intel 6205, MATE@Manjaro-x64
    3) MSI GT70: i7-3650, 16GB, GTX680M, MATE@Manjaro-x64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

But Unity 2D needs a WM/Compositor too, no?. Didn't it use Metacity by default?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by tartalo View Post
    But Unity 2D needs a WM/Compositor too, no?. Didn't it use Metacity by default?
    Yes. But AFAIK it can use any window manager.
    (On another note, Metacity is being abandoned)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jfernyhough View Post
    *cough* Unity 2D *cough*

QML-based. Fast on all hardware. OpenGLES compatible. Mobile ready. And IIRC already used for Ubuntu TV.

*cough - hack* ahem .. *huck* ... When I tired to use Unity 2D with Quantal Quetzal and now Raring Ringtail .. it is *ackchoo* no more ! *cough*. As a beta tester I used Unity 2D as a benchmark, as a sort of a touchstone .. and now it's gone. I'm not talking about Precise Pangolin or previous. I know .. I know .. the devs and other powers that be decided that there was somthing uneconomic about Unity 2D. Nevermind that is was a brilliant piece of Desktop Work ... and especially for those that may need assistive technologies, somebody thought that Wayland (Jennings) and (Smith) & Weston was the better trail to travel.

Ok.. so somebody is going to reinvent the wheel!

*edit* I know I do not speak for everybody. I may even be an obsolete Unity 2D end_user.
    Last edited by ventrical; January 8th, 2013 at 04:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I have a feeling it will be back. Either that or Unity will start a merge with upstream and use Clutter instead (given that Unity is essentially a highly modified gnome-shell).

However:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuTV/Contributing

"what is Ubuntu TV?"
    "it's a Unity variant (based on Unity-2D codebase) that's been adapted for a 10-foot interface"

10-foot you say? Who else uses that term? Oh, really? Whodathunkit?

"what's the technology behind it?"
    "all of Ubuntu, but right now specifically all the Unity backends like Lenses and Scopes, it's based on Unity-2D so Qt / QML, gstreamer (through Qt Mobility) for multimedia playback, OpenGL (ES works, too) is used for rendering"

The project has been quiet for a year, but it's still active with some minor bug triaging.

Beans
    Distro

Oh well would you look at that. A little bit of digging on Launchpad and I've found some new Unity2D stuff.

https://launchpad.net/u2t
    https://launchpad.net/~u2t

And most bestest:
    https://launchpad.net/~u2t/+archive/bleedingedge

"Bleeding edge stuff

PPA description

This ppa in all likely hood will break your system. Do not use unless you are sure that you want to. Never use this ppa on anything but virtual machines"

unity-2d 6.10.06.u2t5 Joseph (2013-01-06)

--edit
    Probably worth noting the build is for Precise...
    Last edited by jfernyhough; January 8th, 2013 at 05:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Nice digging ! There is always hope.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

He views this fragmentation problem as a very bad thing. "This is the real practical toll of fragmentation amongst the linux ecosystem. Its not just that there are multiple implementations of the wheel. There are multiple implementations of entire cars which do almost the same thing, but a little different from everyone else. Some say this is the free software’s greatest strength. Now that I know the personal and technical toll of fragmentation, I see it as its greatest weakness."
    i just love to read this. this quote from the link in the first post, shows me that when i tell other people about the too much fragmantation in linux desktop world, i am goddamn right. finnaly, someone get to the point!
    dell inspiron 1521, AMD Turion, ATI mobility radeon x1270.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rrich1974 View Post
    i just love to read this. this quote from the link in the first post, shows me that when i tell other people about the too much fragmantation in linux desktop world, i am goddamn right. finnaly, someone get to the point!

It worked just fine with Lucid. Ok .. I conceed then I guess Mark's goal of 200 million users will have to be most likely 60% of tablet users because the way things are going now there will be a lot of old towers and desktops going to the recycle bin (with the exception of those die hard hanger-on-ers with Lucid .. etc..

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast