Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running slow

Beans

Running slow

Hi All

Downloaded ubuntu this morning and love the look of it. However it is running painfully slowly. Running on old pc with xp still installed. Also, can't connect to Wifi.

Apologies if this question has appeared hundreds of times previously!

Ian

Beans

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Running slow

Welcome to the forums.

Have you actually installed Ubuntu to the hard drive or you are running from the CD? If the latter, that will account for both issues, probably. It will for the wifi as you can't install drivers to the LiveCD but will be able to when you install (is it showing there are drivers available?).

If the former and you have installed to the hard drive, maybe the specs are too slim to run the latest Ubuntu with the Unity desktop. There are other workarounds (that I know little about as I don't like Unity and use Xubuntu) but you could try installing a lighter flavour, say Xubuntu or Lubuntu, or just install their desktop environment. Look for xfce4 or lxde in Software Centre, install, logout, choose either from the 'Session' pop-up, log in. You can change back to Unity DE the same way.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; January 5th, 2013 at 01:44 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Welcome to the forums.

Have you actually installed Ubuntu to the hard drive or you are running from the CD? If the latter, that will account for both issues, probably. It will for the wifi as you can't install drivers to the LiveCD but will be able to when you install (is it showing there are drivers available?).

If the former and you have installed to the hard drive, maybe the specs are too slim to run the latest Ubuntu with the Unity desktop. There are other workarounds (that I know little about as I don't like Unity and use Xubuntu) but you could try installing a lighter flavour, say Xubuntu or Lubuntu, or just install their desktop environment. Look for xfce4 or lxde in Software Centre, install, logout, choose either from the 'Session' pop-up, log in. You can change back to Unity DE the same way.
    Many thanks - would wiping xp help re: the slow running issue?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Could you post your hardware specifications so that we have an impression whether this is the root of the problem? What version of Ubuntu are you currently looking at?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Quote Originally Posted by itlane View Post
    Many thanks - would wiping xp help re: the slow running issue?
    No, the presence of xp doesn't have any influence on linux (except for messing with your clock and things like that. They might both want to switch it to dst in spring).

Could you tell which ubuntu version and flavour you're using? And you specs? CPU, RAM, graphics card.

Beans

Hi

I'm running Celeron More processor 1.4G, 480MB RAM and a VIA/S3G Unichrome products card. Trying with 12.10

Many thanks

Ian

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

480 MB RAM is not enough for the default Ubuntu. Xubuntu just works (I'm using 314MB right now), but not comfortably, Lubuntu is better. You will basically get the same system, but with a desktop environment that's less resource hungry and a lighter set of default applications. The look, however, will be completely different. There are other light versions, but as they're unofficial support for them will be more complicated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    480 MB RAM is not enough for the default Ubuntu. Xubuntu just works (I'm using 314MB right now), but not comfortably, Lubuntu is better. You will basically get the same system, but with a desktop environment that's less resource hungry and a lighter set of default applications. The look, however, will be completely different. There are other light versions, but as they're unofficial support for them will be more complicated.
    +1. Well said. The voice of experience.

Beans

Many thanks everyone. That has saved me time and hassle. Time to upgrade my hardware

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast