View Poll Results: How old is your main home PC?

Voters
185. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 year or newer

49 26.49%
  • 2 years

24 12.97%
  • 3 years

17 9.19%
  • 4 years

31 16.76%
  • 5 years

25 13.51%
  • 6 years

18 9.73%
  • 7 years

6 3.24%
  • 8 years

8 4.32%
  • 9 years

1 0.54%
  • 10 years or older

6 3.24%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How old is your main home PC in 2013

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How old is your main home PC in 2013

My old laptop from last year's poll had RAM and HDD upgrades I had done over the years. I also had to replace the keyboard. I found you really can do some upgrades and repairs yourself on a laptop that has been out of warranty for years. My other computers were desktops and servers.

Finally, a chip failed on the laptop's motherboard; therefore, I had an excuse to get a new one. I had been hoping for an excuse to get a new laptop with a quad-core, 8GB RAM, bigger display, and more HDD storage.

The new laptop is not very portable; however, I have other devices; such as, a mini-notebook and phone for my mobile needs.

Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans

My desktop is 10 months old now. Built it last March after my 5 year old laptop bugged out with a bad battery, crap cpu after too much heat in it. New rig has a i7 processor and 500GB HDD with W7 for the wife and the old 25GB HDD from the laptop with Arch thrown on it for me with an AMD HD 6850 GPU.

Beans

While we have a family computer, and many other ones, the one I use the most is the one I am typing this on, which I estimate was gotten around 8 years ago.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

My case is about 8 years old, the other componants I tend to replace every couple of years. Right now my motherboard is about two years old, carrying an AMD Phenom II 4-processor chip. I figure I'll give it another 6 months or so.

My wife's desktop has identical specs, but a different and newer case. We both have laptops that dual boot with Windows -- Windows 7 for me and Vista for her. I'd do completely without M$, but I need it for work, unfortunately.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Grey_Wolf View Post
    Finally, a chip failed on the laptop's motherboard; therefore, I had an excuse to get a new one.
    Looking at last year's poll, you had an inspiron 1420, like what I still have.
    Sorry to hear of your loss, but congrats on the new one.

I've heard the nvidia video chip frequently fails on this model. Was that it?
    Luckily, I have the cheaper integrated intel video on mine, which seems to have a lower rate of failure (Fingers crossed.).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

1999, yep, pre-Y2k. Well, the mobo and CPU set is anyways. Not really sure about the rest...
    Thinkpad T430, Intel i5-3320M (Ivy), 8GB RAM, Intel HD 4000, 500GB HDD: Xubuntu 20.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

You know you're a nerd when the answer to this question is "uhh...well...that depends." My motherboard is maybe about 2 years old, not sure exactly. See my signature for my specs. I also have a laptop that's 4 months old, but it has lower specs than my desktop (it was only $399), but works great for internet browsing, video watching, school work, etc.
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans

Mine is newer,what i cant understand is there,s more than 500 views and only 62 votes.i find that (strange) its like that with every thread.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

hmmm... I think it is 4 years, but I have upgraded it over time. It has a Q6700 quad core, so not that high end anymore.

I did upgrade the following:
    - put it up to 8 gigs of ram
    - Nvidia card (mid range)
    - SSD

Xubuntu runs extremely fast on it, so I don't see the need to upgrade it. Although I have been gaming more, so a new i7 PC would be nice lol.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Mine is ASUS S5200A, producted before 2006.
    After 2010, I change the os to Ubuntu 10.04 due to that the fat-laggy Windows XP SP3 can't work fine. Everything on that old-laptop is fine, I even used it for writing my proposal and resume for the science job. I have to say, Ubuntu 10.04 works super fine for my laptop, and I can't tolerate about the stop of support in 2013... where should I go?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast