Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 freezes after boot

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04 freezes after boot

After installing Ubuntu 12.04 from a CD on to my Toshiba Satellite laptop, there was a message from the tool menu that I needed to install upgrades. So I did, then restarted the computer as directed, and now it freezes when the desktop comes up and neither the mouse nor the keyboard will work. I have to do a hard reboot.

I tried to reinstall from the CD, but it stops during installation. I tried to just run the OS from the CD, but it still freezes.

System info:
    TOSHIBA Satellite C655D
    Processor:AMD E-300 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.3GHz 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processors
    Display: AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics
    RAM: 2.00 GB

I apologize for the repetition, this was previously posted under the wrong prefix and I could not find a way to correct it.

The CD installed the 32 bit version.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 freezes after boot

Quote Originally Posted by tbrann View Post

I tried to reinstall from the CD, but it stops during installation. I tried to just run the OS from the CD, but it still freezes.

The CD installed the 32 bit version.
    check the cd for possible errors at the boot menu!
    In which part of the installation prosses the crash happens?

blog
    Donations BTC : 12FwoB7uAM5FnweykpR1AEEDVFaTLTYFkS
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!

Beans

OK I inserted the disk and clicked the option to

check the disk for errors
    No errors found.

The problem is in the laptop, not the CD

When I tried to install, it let me select a language (English) . Then the CD drive started whirring & shifting as if it were installing. Then it just froze at the screen that says ubuntu with the five orange dots underneath.

Beans
    Distro

maybe there is a problem with the cd drive. Do you have a usb drive , Can you make a Live Usb drive system with another pc?

blog
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!

Beans

I don't think the problem is the CD drive. As I said, the first installation went fine and I was able to get on the internet etc. Then
    I doI downloaded all the updates as instructed & restarted to install them. That's when the problem started. There is something that got downloaded that is messing things up. A bad driver, maybe.

Similar problems happened to me last summer when I got Ubuntu from the internet and downloaded it onto a partition. Things froze up then too.

At that time I had Windows 7 on the other partition. Eventually I had some type of disk error that couldn't be fixed, so I replaced the hard drive and installed Ubuntu fresh from a CD, with no partitioning.

Beans
    Distro

when you boot (from hhd not cd) do you still have grub or was wiped off by the installation? Can you go into recovery mode and run "fsck"?

blog
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!

Beans

Yes if I hold down SHIFT I can get to Recovery Mode option. I can select fsck Check all file systems and it says:

fsck from util-linux 2.20.1
    /dev/sda1: 229462/19431424 files (0.2% non-contiguous), 2480198/77722880 blocks
    _

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tbrann View Post
    Yes if I hold down SHIFT I can get to Recovery Mode option. I can select fsck Check all file systems and it says:

fsck from util-linux 2.20.1
    /dev/sda1: 229462/19431424 files (0.2% non-contiguous), 2480198/77722880 blocks
    _
    it's very hard to say only from fsck if is the hhd the problem or not, But that is not a positive message. Installing "smartmontools" might tell us more but you need a live section or a stable system to install it from the net.

I presume that you are not able to boot from an old kernel from the grub menu?(is it still there? Did you try before any errors?

blog
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!

Beans

No, from the GRUB menu I can go into this one installation or recovery mode or check memory. That's it, and I have already checked the memory (no errors).

Beans
    Distro

it is quite strange that the live cd that before used to work now it is not working properly. It suggests the possibility of hardware failure, but before that I' dtry with a different ubuntu releas or even a version of linux mint... Sorry out of ideas since we have no live sections to use in order to check what's wrong, we are very limited with possibilities.

blog
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast