Thread: e-addressbook-factory

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

e-addressbook-factory

Hi

I'm running Ubuntu 11.11 with Gnome3.

I use now and again Thunderbird to backup my Gmail which I normally connect to via Chrome.

I never use Evolution or UbuntuOne/Launchpad.

But often I get this "e-addressbook-factory" running and it eat up my CPU. From what I understand it is linked to Evolution and not Thunderbird or any browser.

A good old "killall -9 e-addressbook-factory" stops it, but after a while it is back up and running. I have tried once to remove Evolution which caused ubuntu to be unusable, since they are joined at the hip.

Is there a way to stop e-addressbook-factory from ever starting, since it is getting rather annoying to kill it every time.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro

Re: e-addressbook-factory

[bump}

Anyone got an idea ?

Beans
    Distro

Bump! Anyone?

Beans

I have run into the same problem here. I do use evolution, however, and I suspect it has something to do with LDAP? Just taking a wild guess...

I'm running 12.04. Evolution has had memory leak for me back in 10.04. Will try to post more findings as they come.

Beans

This is yet another reason why after years of using Ubuntu I have decided to stop using it and move to Debian. I hate that in Ubuntu there are many unnecessary and invasive processes inextricably tied into the OS in a very Microsoft/Apple way. I want to get rid of e-addressbook-factory, but apparently it's so deliberately tied into Ubuntu that you can't. (I also wanted to get rid of Zeitgeist and other programs - but they're so deliberately tied into Ubuntu that you can't. The list goes on. I've had enough of such silliness.)

Linux should be about freedom - not being forced to run programs and processes regardless of whether they're any use or not. I sometimes wonder whether in recent years Microsoft has secretly funded some important people in Ubuntu development to deliberately ruin it. It's a great shame that Ubuntu has gone from almost universal approval to alienating a large number of its users.