Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm selling on Craigslist. Buyer wants me to sell on ebay & pay via PayPal. Thoughts?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Bad buyers will find ways to scam even a careful seller.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenTaurus View Post
    just make sure to insure the item before you mail it
    Great idea, GreenTaurus. I just hope that the added cost doesn't bite back at me if the seller lies to eBay and PayPal. If he does, not only do I lose out on the $40 item and the cost of shipping, I also lose out on the insurance cost.

With IPhone 5s they were submitting that the item was 'not as described' and unless you have proof, the the buyer gets to keep the item and their dispute will be found against you (ask me how I know!)
    How do you know?

Take pics & prove the items condition before sending if you're worried about it.
    I plan on recording a no-cut (one-shot) movie clip of the item, in all angles, to putting it into the shipping box/container, to handing it over to the post office employee, to the post office employee taking it away from me. But a buyer could still rip me off.
    Last edited by hanzj; January 7th, 2013 at 07:35 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

One thing I don't like about eBay

One thing I disklike about eBay: They keep about 10% of the gross.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: I'm selling on Craigslist. Buyer wants me to sell on ebay & pay via PayPal. Thoug

Ebay pretty good. I buy a lot of electronics. Sometimes things dont work or not as described.

I bought a used drive which seller said was perfect and smart said was failing. I got a refund had to ship it back.

I had an open case on an IRF transistor not as described, he posted wrong numbers. So I returned but had to pay shipping back. That got me mad. So I call ebay to say was not happy with how it went down seeing the item was not as described in the listing, bad seller.
    So Ebay gave me a 10$ courtesy coupon.

It is the shipping back that I dont like IF I have to pay and the item is defective. Which has happened about 5 times in several years.

One time I as a seller sold a motherboard and clearly said sound was not working and included a sound card. the woman buys it and 6 months later hear from some guy that I sold him a bad board and he wants a full refund. They live in Canada. So I say ok ship it back. He does not want to ship back, just wants refund. Shipping would be $26. Not worth the cost to ship back for a $35 board. So in that case EBAY policy protected me as seller from a scam buyer. and case resolved in my favor. You have no idea who your dealing with or what they will try to pull. On opening his case, he wrote some incredible sob story about me to Ebay and how he was emotionally devastated about this happening to him.
    Last edited by sdowney717; January 7th, 2013 at 02:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: One thing I don't like about eBay

Quote Originally Posted by hanzj View Post
    One thing I disklike about eBay: They keep about 10% of the gross.
    Yeah, that's the only downside of it.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Re: I'm selling on Craigslist. Buyer wants me to sell on ebay & pay via PayPal. Thoug

Tell him you'll do it as long as he accepts a bump in price to cover the fees and the extra time involved.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Ebay / Paypal offer some protection to the buyer; however this same protection can be used by an unscrupulous buyer to defraud the seller. For this reason I would be very concerned if a buyer asks you to list on Ebay. If you wanted to sell on Ebay you would have listed there in the first place.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12