Thread: manipulating web pages via terminal

Beans

manipulating web pages via terminal

Hello!

I am searching for a way to manipulate content(functions, possibilities) of web pages using terminal(bash scripting). For example to log into http://ubuntuforums.org account, then read new posts and maybe post a new thread. I wasn't able to find any useful information, only how to get(wget; or send mail) not to post. It would be great if it's possible

Thank you

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: manipulating web pages via terminal

Quote Originally Posted by diabolusss View Post
    Hello!

I am searching for a way to manipulate content(functions, possibilities) of web pages using terminal(bash scripting). For example to log into http://ubuntuforums.org account, then read new posts and maybe post a new thread. I wasn't able to find any useful information, only how to get(wget; or send mail) not to post. It would be great if it's possible

Thank you
    I don't think this is possible, as posts are submited via HTTP POST.

However, there are some text-based browsers that you can use, mainly links2 and lynx
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Dillo is another lightweight browser. Since the source is available, you might be able to hook into one of the lightweight browsers to read posts and submit posts. You are looking for an API to talk to and I am not aware of a vBulletin API that would let you talk to it directly. But I am interested in what you come up with. Brings me back to the BBS days--telephone modem bulletin board systems.

{{:;}} (ASCII popcorn)
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

i suspected that my idea might sound too crazy, however, thank you, everyone, for a clues. i'll try cURL and maybe something will come out of this xD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Send a message (http://ubuntuforums.org/sendmessage.php) and ask them how you can interact with the forums through a text-based window.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.