Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: re: closed thread about uce

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

re: closed thread about uce

Regarding this thread, which has been closed: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2101560

Why is that we have the Ubuntu Christian Edition subforum instead of having users of that distro posting in Other OS/Distro Talk? I'm not sure why this is "a special case," as lisati wrote, or why the length of time the subforum has been around (see cariboo907's comment) should be a reason for keeping it.

However, the fact that the subforum is there doesn't bother me; it seems that you have to dig a bit to even find it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: closed thread about uce

That thread linked was closed because it started to delve into ideology.
    The UCE sub-forum is strictly about the distro and has no tolerance for ideologies or dogma.
    The reason it's not in the other distro sub-forum is because it isn't another distro, it is still Ubuntu.

I myself see no problem with it, as I have gleaned some good advice from threads in that section, and never realized it was a sub-forum for a particular Ubuntu release.

I would assume though that if someone or group wished to have an edition for their partitcular belief it would be allowed as long as it followed the same standards as UCE.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=251148
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    That thread linked was closed because it started to delve into ideology.
    Understood; and the mods were probably correct to do so.

The reason it's not in the other distro sub-forum is because it isn't another distro, it is still Ubuntu.
    Seems to me that it is a separate distro based on Ubuntu, just like Kubuntu and Xubuntu, etc. -- especially when I look at UCE's home page: http://www.ubuntuce.com/

But I can see that they don't have their own forums, and that it's called an Ubuntu "edition," which is also confusing because I thought I read that Canonical wanted no more separate Ubuntu "editions." Hm, see http://news.softpedia.com/news/Canon...t-188581.shtml

Beans
    Distro

Perhaps it's better to compare Ubuntu Christian Edition with Ubuntu GNOME Remix? Not sure if the latter has its own subforum, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't think I've ever seen a Kubuntu or Xubuntu based thread in the other os/distro sub-forum.
    I can see the case for a sub-forum for UCE because the name alone can cause concern as the thread which was closed was trying to point out.
    Since the threads about the UCE are about the distro and the distro alone, isolating them in a single area keeps the mods from having to dig through many areas looking for potential problems, which probably come up.

I for one have no problem with names. I wouldn't mind an Ubuntu Stinky Feet Edition if such a distro came about. As long as the ideology of Stinkfoot wasn't discussed.
    Earn Your Keep

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post

Seems to me that it is a separate distro based on Ubuntu, just like Kubuntu and Xubuntu, etc. --
    All ubuntu, different DE, This thread seems to sum it up, re; UCE.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=251148
    Last edited by offgridguy; January 5th, 2013 at 06:36 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

...Seems to me that it is a separate distro based on Ubuntu, just like Kubuntu and Xubuntu, etc. -- ...
    No, not a separate distro, it is classified as a "derivative" of Ubuntu.
    See this link, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DerivativeTeam/Derivatives

Provided posts there don't breach the CoC, I see no problem with the UCE sub-forum being as it is. Going on the number of complaints about its existance over the years here, I'm very sure any such breaches will get reported and dealt with accordingly

Beans
    Distro

I wouldn't mind an Ubuntu Stinky Feet Edition if such a distro came about. As long as the ideology of Stinkfoot wasn't discussed.

Beans
    Distro

I can see the case for a sub-forum for UCE because the name alone can cause concern as the thread which was closed was trying to point out.
    Since the threads about the UCE are about the distro and the distro alone, isolating them in a single area keeps the mods from having to dig through many areas looking for potential problems, which probably come up.
    Good point, perhaps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Perhaps it's better to compare Ubuntu Christian Edition with Ubuntu GNOME Remix? Not sure if the latter has its own subforum, though.
    I think that Gnome remix as well as other distros like mate+Ubuntu are so new that the mods and the forum council haven't had time to delve into what to do about them.
    There aren't a lot of users for those yet, unlike Kubuntu which has tons.
    Those other newer distros don't yet have their own sub-forums but do have quasi-mega threads.
    Earn Your Keep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast