Beans
    Hidden!

Burning hard drives in the fireplace

I have some old IDE drives
    13gb
    2gb
    5gb
    maybe 5 or so. Most still work.
    I figure they are worthless except for recycling the aluminum.
    So was thinking of burning them in the fireplace in a roaring fire to wipe out any thing on them and see what happens.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Burning hard drives in the fireplace

If sensitive data is a concern, just use a Dban live CD to run a few passes. Then, sledgehammer

Beans

If you're talking about recycling, burnt metal sells for less than non-burnt. I know, it doesn't make sense because it was hot when they made the part right?. But they figure if there's sign of a fire there are probably some chemical reactions or something, not sure what.

I like to take old drives apart. It's kinda cool looking at the high tech in there, I remember getting some old mainframe drives years back that had platters over a foot across. I wound up using several parts for RC modeling and other things in the garage. The disk had a nearly frictionless bearing, never seen one before or since.

And then you take the platters, which are made of glass anyway, and sledgehammer those. And the chassis is aluminum and the screws are stainless, so if you disassembled it you have pure metals to work with, no circuit boards and no carcinogens to breathe in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
    I have some old IDE drives
    13gb
    2gb
    5gb
    maybe 5 or so. Most still work.
    I figure they are worthless except for recycling the aluminum.
    So was thinking of burning them in the fireplace in a roaring fire to wipe out any thing on them and see what happens.
    Garage floor > lump hammer a few times. > chuck in recycle bin for small electricals.

Simples.

Beans
    Hidden!

And then you take the platters, which are made of glass anyway, and sledgehammer those. And the chassis is aluminum and the screws are stainless, so if you disassembled it you have pure metals to work with, no circuit boards and no carcinogens to breathe in.
    Well I dont know what is more fun, burning or sledge hammer.

I have burned a lot of unusual things in the fireplace such as turkey carcass, light bulbs (inadvertantly, they dont crack), plastic toys, stuffed pillows, milk jugs (great for starting up fire), leaves, twigs, lumber, metal parts to burn off paint and rust, old electrical toys, pretty much anything except for spray cans and batteries. Smoke goes up and outside. People toss to the curb a lot of btu's.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

less flashy but a powerful magnet would get the job done
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

From a practical standpoint you need a REALLY big magnet. I've tried this with what I thought was an outrageously huge magnet and still had a bootable disk.

FWIW you have magnetic media in a metal case. I'm not sure the magnetic field can get through. I suck at physics though so don't take my word for it.

Beans

Remove the magnets and then just bash the platters with a hammer or something.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

How about you give them away to someone who could use them?

Believe me there are many that would take them. Kinda a "Pay it Forward" deal.

Warprunner
    This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever.
    ...Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast