Thread: Switching to Gnome?

Beans

Switching to Gnome?

Hi everyone. I'm new to unbuntu, and installed 12.10. I keep hearing about GNOME shells, and GNOME 3.0, saying how people are switching to those and away from unity. What is GNOME, and what will switching to it do? Should I? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Switching to Gnome?

Try running a live DVD of Linux Mint 14 Mate and see what gnome2 looks like.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I use Unity and the Gnome Shell on 12.10 . Install the shell from the software center if you want to try it. I started the day with the shell and now I'm logged into Unity. Classic Gnome will be install along with the shell.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can."

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Hi everyone. I'm new to unbuntu
    'ello!

and installed 12.10.
    Congratulations, the hard part's done.

I keep hearing about GNOME shells, and GNOME 3.0,
    Here's the tricky part. Ubuntu (and linux in general) has various interfaces, which define and control the way you use your computer. Some are minimal and do very little for the user (examples include openbox, LXDE, fvwm), or do things in an unusual way (dwm, enlightenment), some are very large and comprehensive, such as GNOME or KDE.

What you choose is up to you, and no single project is better than another. If a project was genuinely bad, it would have died long ago. Don't listen to anyone who tells you otherwise, think about it.

If you wish, you should try ones which appeal to you (I'd recommend starting with the more usual ones, such as LXDE, Xfce, GNOME-Shell, and KDE), and seeing if it suits you better.

Now, to your question.

GNOME is a very large and old project, currently on version 3. It aims to provide a complete set of graphical applications and graphical environment, and toolkits for application designers to write programs with. See http://www.gnome.org

GNOME-Shell is GNOME 3.x's default user interface.

When GNOME was still on version 2, it had a drastically different user interface. Some liked it, others not so much. When version 3 came along, the default user interface changed, and some liked it, others not so much. This led to a lot of controversy, and some results of that were MATE, Cinnamon, gnome-fallback, and Unity. These are all "shells" around GNOME, but they all look and behave differently to the default GNOME-Shell.

saying how people are switching to those and away from unity.
    People who dislike a desktop environment tend to post mistruths about it. While this is true (for people who dislike unity), there are also people who like Unity and are moving away from other environments to it.

What is GNOME, and what will switching to it do?
    "Switching" consists of installing GNOME-Shell. It's available in the software centre. You'll then be able to log out and select either "GNOME" (GNOME-Shell) or "Ubuntu" (Unity). Both will still work.

Should I?
    I'd suggest giving several desktop environments a go. I recommend LXDE, Xfce, GNOME-Shell, and KDE for new users who wish to give these things a try. You can work on more unusual desktop environments when your experience has grown and you're used to trying new things.

But yes, if you wish. Nothing bad will happen.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

try gnome classic. it's very much like gnome 2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi and welcome. If you try gnome-shell, after installing I'd recommend going to this website:

extensions.gnome.org

An egregious shortcoming of gnome-shell is being able to suspend or shut down. This is a pretty basic function Stock gnome-shell requires pressing an 'alt' key to select suspend. There is an extension on the first page to fix this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi, welcome you to ubuntu. As you are new about Gnome, so I'm sure you are new to Linux. Unity and Gnome are different Desktop Environment, which will give you different experience.

My opinion is, as you are new to Linux, use unity on Ubuntu or otherwise if you find unity difficult then you can try Linux Mint (Cinnamon) from this link