Thread: Upgrading from 10.10 to 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Upgrading from 10.10 to 12.04

Hi,

What is the simplest and quickest way to go from Ubuntu 10.10 to 12.04? I will be doing this on an older notebook with about 509 MB in data. I am thinking that it is best to just copy the data, and do a fresh install. The only problem with this is that I don't want to have to re-adjust any configs or re-add apps. I normally like to just use the Ubuntu upgrade manager, but I don't think that will work too well here, as I will need to upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04, then to 11.10, then to 12.04, which would be a pain. Thanks in advance.

Beans

Re: Upgrading from 10.10 to 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by einfeldt View Post
    Hi,

What is the simplest and quickest way to go from Ubuntu 10.10 to 12.04? I will be doing this on an older notebook with about 509 MB in data. I am thinking that it is best to just copy the data, and do a fresh install. The only problem with this is that I don't want to have to re-adjust any configs or re-add apps. I normally like to just use the Ubuntu upgrade manager, but I don't think that will work too well here, as I will need to upgrade from 10.10 to 11.04, then to 11.10, then to 12.04, which would be a pain. Thanks in advance.
    Backup your data and do a fresh install.

That's all she wrote.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Upgrading from 10.10 to 12.04

I just used the 12.04 live flash drive to install 12.04 over my 10.10 install on my 6 year old laptop.. The live installer has another new option to upgrade in place saving everything. It said it would try to reinstall all the apps but had an error message. Not sure it added any of my extra applications, but I have a dpkg list of all my apps and used that to update.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.