Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New ubuntu OS for phones, but cant run android apps?

Beans

Re: New ubuntu OS for phones, but cant run android apps?

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    You'll probably find it'll run on your current one. Min spec is 1GHz A9 and 512MB RAM. If it's as easy to flash as an Android ROM it should be pretty painless to give it a go.
    I have a quite new Galaxy S3 still under warranty,I cannot afford to be with out a phone so I will get another to test I h two on account SIMs I can use.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!

Whenever I get a new phone, either for myself or Mrs Lisati, my first priority is being able to keep in touch at a price I can afford, usually by phone calls or perhaps text messages. The ability to do other stuff, such as the ability to run certain apps, is generally a secondary consideration.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    I cannot afford to be with out a phone
    Have you not flashed a ROM before? It's pretty easy, if anything went wrong with Ubuntu you'd just put Android back on. There's no more reason to be nervous about changing the OS on your phone than there is doing it on your PC. Once you've done it the first time you realise there was nothing to worry about.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Have you not flashed a ROM before? It's pretty easy, if anything went wrong with Ubuntu you'd just put Android back on. There's no more reason to be nervous about changing the OS on your phone than there is doing it on your PC. Once you've done it the first time you realise there was nothing to worry about.
    Yes I have, however I am an owner of a Company and cannot afford to be with out my phone. Also as my current handset is still under warranty I will use OEM ROM.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
    It would be good if it could run android apps, is this possible?

http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/03/ubuntu-android-ios/
    It is not a matter of if but when. For example: http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2012/11/h...d-apps-in.html

Beans
    Hidden!

Since android has so much momentum why not tie the ubuntu buggy to it and make this work. You already have a lot of developers working with android apps, so this would just make ubuntu phone os better.

Part of what kept back linux was MS office. Same sort of idea with ubuntu phone os. People are getting used to android.

Beans

I am indeed very excited about this latest development from canonical. I am also fearful for it's success/failure (well just its failure).

What I really don't understand though is how this will affect ubuntu's relationship with google. I mean, as far as I know, ubuntu's main competitors have always been microsoft and apple. But now they're going head to head against google in the smartphone OS market. I think they should ally with Google against the other big 2...

For crying out loud, google even uses ubuntu at their headquarters!! Surely Mark Shuttleworth knows all this and I am missing the big picture here, can someone enlighten me?

Beans

I think ubuntu will develop its own apps but it will happen in 2014.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I am missing the big picture here, can someone enlighten me?
    I think you are. Remember when we got a version of Ubuntu that had the google search panel as the Ubuntu start panel of Firefox? It is still there. Then a little later Gooogle released its Android code back into Linux. I would say that there has been cooperation going on between Canonical and Ubuntu for a long time.

I would not say that they are going head to head with Google in the smartphone market. Go down the page on this link and read about New Markets.

http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android

Ubuntu for Android will increase market share for Android in markets that it is not yet reaching.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!

Good link, and
    That sounds like they are complimentary already.

The number one free desktop on the number one open phone
    With over 20 million users, Ubuntu is the world’s favorite free operating system – and Ubuntu for Android is the first complete solution for office productivity on a phone. It lets Android and Ubuntu share the same Linux kernel, so they can run at the same time – Android for the phone experience and Ubuntu when docked. Which means one address book, one set of bookmarks, one place for text messages and one inbox for mail. And thanks to careful integration between the Ubuntu desktop and Android, user’s have access to the phone’s functions when it’s docked – including making and receiving calls.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast