Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canonicals main goal to create UGLY user end experience?

Beans

Canonicals main goal to create UGLY user end experience?

Topic.

Great OS. Great people behind it. Lots of hard work put into it. Amazing community. Strive for innovation and excellence.

And UGLY. Renaming it Ugbuntu might be a good start.

I have nothing against unity. But if you cant make unity look modern and continuous with the rest of the desktop then may as well give up. The gray panels cant compete with windows or Macs or especially Linux mint.

Has no one else seen cinammon? your eyes start to hurt if you look at ubuntu after using cinamon.

http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/whats-new

EW.

Gross.

http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-conten...on-desktop.jpg

Hot lady. a DIVA. She knows how to dress. Lingerie and stockings appeal to the masses. sex sells. Thats why mint is awesome. (best looking theme is cinammon + ice cream sandwich which i cant find on google images).

You cant promote an operating system that wears grandmas old shorts from 60s. (aka ubuntu).

Been waiting for ubuntu to make the interface beautiful for a long time now. And im still waiting.

Ubuntu is bleeding people. Big time.
    http://distrowatch.com/

hasnt had ubuntu as number one for many months now. in fact, its no longer even number two. mint forums are full of new users and ubuntu converts.

Its moving in the right direction. But so slowly its painful to wait.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Canonicals main goal to create UGLY user end experience?

DeusExM1
    And UGLY. Renaming it Ugbuntu might be a good start.
    This argument has existed since I first joined the forums. If I recall correctly, at that time it was focused on the color brown.

This recurring discussion seems to have gone on for years in this section of the forums. Now with Mint, it appears the discussion has resurfaced. I doubt Ubuntu (like every OS IMHO) will ever meet the expectations of all users.

I would question the assumption, that appearance is the only and/or primary motive for a reduction in usage. Which appears to be your conclusion. Assuming, there's even been a massive reduction in usage.
    Ubuntu is bleeding people. Big time.
    Personally, I wouldn't use distrowatch page hit counts to identify usage. I'm not even certain that .iso downloads are a good indicator of term usage. It's been my experience, that many Linux users (I know) enjoy visiting other Linux distro sites - often via distrowatch. They even download new distros for testing and at any given point in time, may have multiple distros on their system(s).

Just my $0.02 & Thanks for sharing your feedback.
    "All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward."
    Ellen Glasgow

Personally, I wouldn't use distrowatch page hit counts to identify usage.
    +1. From Distrowatch:

The DistroWatch Page Hit Ranking statistics are a light-hearted way of measuring the popularity of Linux distributions and other free operating systems among the visitors of this website. They correlate neither to usage nor to quality and should not be used to measure the market share of distributions. They simply show the number of times a distribution page on DistroWatch.com was accessed each day, nothing more.
    Distrowatch is not the all-knowing Linux counter. Just a counter for itself.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by DeusExM1 View Post
    mint forums are full of new users and ubuntu converts.
    I am pleased to hear that Mint forums are thriving and I wish them well. However, before making assumptions about a hypothetical mass move from Ubuntu to Mint based on forum activity, you might care to compare the figures. As of this moment, Ubuntuforums:

Currently Active Users: 9299 (174 members and 9044 guests and 81 Spiders)
    And Mint forums:

In total there are 220 users online :: 35 registered, 2 hidden and 183 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

People are still misreading distrowatch numbers?

Wikimedia's Traffic Analysis Report is a much better source:

http://stats.wikimedia.org/archive/s...ingSystems.htm

Some of my observations, correct me if I'm wrong:

- Ubuntu did lose userbase when Unity was made default, but not as many as it seemed initially. User agent string in Firefox was cleaned at the same time and Wikimedia was not identifying Ubuntu users correctly for a couple of months, when this was fixed the numbers were lower than before Unity's release but far from the apocalypse it seemed initially.

- After some months with a downwards tendency, Ubuntu has been gaining share again and has now a similar share than it had before Unity was released.

- Linux in general is gaining users, and not only because of Android. The small distros are doing well, Linux is diversifying.

- Short after Unity's release Mint gained share, but has remained quite stable since then.

- Despite Xubuntu gets more mentions in this forum, Kubuntu is much more popular.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Well ugly FOR YOU. I like them both. Ubuntu's warm dark orange and Cinnamon's lighter green both look very consistent and professional to me.

Beans

I weep for the future of Linux if people still cant figure out that you can have any DE you like.

And still cant read Distrowatch correctly:

from Distrowatch:

The DistroWatch Page Hit Ranking statistics are a light-hearted way of measuring the popularity of Linux distributions and other free operating systems among the visitors of this website. They correlate neither to usage nor to quality and should not be used to measure the market share of distributions. They simply show the number of times a distribution page on DistroWatch.com was accessed each day, nothing more.
    People ask about the future of Linux on the desktop, well it is nothing to do with Linux it is to do with people, there is no solution to people.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unity looks pretty nice, especially in action.

I think it's more important to create a distinctive-looking desktop, than a bland attempt at mimicking Mac OS X's widget colours. Linux Mint is the latter. Honestly, that screenshot could be any other distro running Cinnamon. Or any other distro from the late 2000s running Gnome 2, for that matter.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

I would like to clear up some of th things from my original post.

I am completely aware distrowatch is not counting TOTAL numbers of people using ubuntu. However, it is counting SOME segment of the population (probably enthusiast). So this means that ubuntu is most likely losing popularity among this or another segment of all ubuntu users. (even if the total amount of users is going up).

Someone said that Ubuntu hasnt lost marketshare and has had steady marketshare since unity was released. You view this as a success but in reality this is a giant failure. If Ubuntu wants to be successful it has to have a growing user base. With the colossal failure that is Windows 8, Ubuntu should be able to get ahead.

Also, now that steam is finally coming to linux, and ubuntu as primary platform of support, Ubuntu has a chance to make market growth that may not come again for a long time. I dont think this chance should be wasted.

Finally, I do not believe Unity looks bad. Also, it is pretty user friendly. I also like the ubuntu color scheme. However... Unity lacks polish and is still relatively buggy.

When i said ubuntu looks ugly i was referring to the panels and how inconsistent they look WITH unity. it looks ugly as hell and hasnt been changed in a while. The picture i posted of linux mint 14 is not the best theme available with the OS, i simply could not find one running cinammon and ice cream sandwich theme. If you want to see what a modern linux OS should look like, install it and check it out yourself.

i do like ubuntu or i wouldnt be here posting. just saying i hope they make it look more modern by making the panels and unity consistent with each other.

Beans

Thread moved to the "Recurring Discussions" forum.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast