Thread: Ubuntu phone OS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu phone OS

Quote Originally Posted by AllenGG View Post
    Notnice law.
    Unless you don't live in the USA!

I can't believe the US government made that illegal. How absolutely bizarre!
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans

New to this forum, so my answer may already be here somewhere... I would like to "re-purpose" my HTC EVO 4G using Ubuntu for Phones. Currently use Ubuntu on a desktop and a notebook, and would like it on the mobile as well. Would this be possible?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    Unless you don't live in the USA!

I can't believe the US government made that illegal. How absolutely bizarre!
    Yeah, there's a petition to have the exemption reinstated. Hopefully it goes through!

Beans

I don't know if this is has been answered, but is there any way to install Ubuntu Phone OS on a PC? Is there an emulator somewhere?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by hydn79 View Post
    When I think "Ubuntu" I expect easy & user friendly public access to place Linux on what ever pc or device its created for.
    It's still in the development phase! The first public release will come only in October.

Quote Originally Posted by hydn79 View Post
    Without the whole running after manufactures and carries like Microsoft. We're human, give us Ubuntu for smartphones just as how its done for pc's.
    Unfortunately, smart-phones are not like PCs. Each manufacturer may supply its own proprietary hardware and drivers. Without the drivers, Canonical cannot do anything with that phone.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans

Question Re: Ubuntu phone OS

I was reading the port guide and online reasources and it appears that I can get the mobile os on my Galaxy S3. However was wondering if this information:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/ReleaseNotes#Telephony

is correct in that I would be able to Phone and SMS, without the extras on the device?

Also mentions the gallery and contacts work? I saw the preview before and it seemed to just contain ubuntu presets.

Beans

The images out right now are developer previews so don't install it on anything you want to use as a daily use type of thing. It does work fairly well on my Asus TF101 Transformer except for a wifi issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

- Just enjoyed watching the video "Ubuntu for phones".
    - I went here, since I have been thinking of getting a new phone, and wanted to play with my current unit. I had seen (what I think was an ad) a URL for rooting an LG730. But, why? Root an Android to use Android?
    - I just signed up to be notified when the OS becomes available. Whether, or not, the LG730 will be compatible is in the future.

David

Beans

Any knowledge of someone working on the Phone OS for an HTC EVO 4G???

Beans

Lightbulb Important: possibly the only way Ubuntu could make it to phones

Realistically one has to see the chicken & egg problem, which has already sealed the fate of many mobile operating systems before: Without a widespread system, there won't be that many Apps and without a vast selection of Apps, the system will never spread.
    This problem actually grows each and every day, as newcomers will have to measure themselves with the two big ones. Whether it's the I-phone or Android, there's an App for everything. Why would you want to give that up?

So how can Ubuntu make it then? It sounds almost impossible.
    Ubuntu4Phone uses a modified kernel of the free Android distribution CyanogenMod. It would be easy to bundle both. You would then not only install Ubuntu4Phone, but also a very up-to-date Android system, which can run all the Apps you want. Upon boot you would decide, which system to run.
    Would people even be using Ubuntu4Phone if they installed both and the CyanogenMod would be obviously more useful (at least in the beginning)?
    First of all, Android is based on Java and Java has "a few" deficiencies by design. For example, Java has problems when it comes to releasing resources. I often find myself in situations where I'm unable to do something with one App, because another App running before, still owns a resource. If this happens to normal Users, they will typically reboot the phone (which can take ages) and then the App will work again - *ouch*! If you understand the problem, you can of course kill the old App and thus free the resource, which is obviously not that elegant either... Java can be slow and freeze your phone for a few instants. This typically happens when you least need it. Moreover, the system tends to become increasingly instable the longer it runs. I usually reboot my phone every morning. Before I kept it running continuously. The battery consumption wasn't the big issue. What really bothered me was that things stopped working. For instance, I often found myself with the camera App refusing to run just when I wanted to take a picture.
    So on the long run, Ubuntu4Phone could be the more promising system. By bundling it with an up-to-date CyanogenMod, users could play around with the Beta without "throwing away" their phone. Moreover, they would get tempted to port missing Apps. The Holy Grail – get people to port Apps!
    The bundle could throw away a few Android diseases. For example, most Android phones store the user data on partitions formatted with FAT32. FAT32 doesn't allow links and files can only be 4 GB of size at most (already a problem with videos). Instead of FAT32, Ext3/4 could be used. This would raise problems when connecting such phones to a Windows computer. A minor problem as they could easily be directed to installing a free driver.
    In order to get somebody to try Ubuntu4Phone and install CyanogenMod this way, the procedure would have to be simple and foolproof. It should only take a few steps. Otherwise, potential users will be scared away. Likewise, the update procedure should be simple and safe, keeping both Ubuntu4Phone and CyanogenMod up-to-date. There should be a fallback mechanism allowing running the previous kernel (as we know it from Linux).
    Android comes with many partitions. Most of them could be rendered superfluous by having the boot loader checking signatures. If that's fast enough, it could simplify the update process too. One could even run a system from the "external" memory card this way.
    Again, I too would love to install Ubuntu4Phone on my little piece of chocolate. Like many others I won't do it, as I would have to give up too much. Thus, I won't be creating any Apps for Ubuntu4Phone even though I'm quite familiar with Qt and C++.
    Please make it simple for us. Please give us both – the simpler, the better – so we can help improving your Ubuntu4Phone.
    It's no good if somewhere there are instructions to install both. That won't be doing the trick for most people.

Kind regards,
    LC

Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2937383940 LastLast