Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu phone OS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Ubuntu phone OS

Well, now many of the recent moves done by Ubuntu on the Desktop start to make sense to me.

I find interesting the promise that Ubuntu for phones might work on Android capable devices, for me it would be a huge plus being able to try seriously the OS on a device I already have before making the decision of spending some money on a new device.

If Ubuntu for phones will allow the same level of control about everything "under the hood" I already have with Ubuntu on my PC, that will make an important difference vs Android for me, although one has quite control in a rooted Android device, any desktop Linux distribution is light years ahead in this sense.

On the downside there's software availability, although there are thousands of programs available for Linux they all would need changes to work properly with a touchscreen, I guess that we will see more HTML5 based apps coming to Ubuntu than traditional Linux programs moving to the phone.

Really interesting times ahead, Firefox OS is about to release in Brazil, Samsung announces that they expect to release a Tizen based device this year too... and all seem quite confident on a common ground based on HTML5. (Thanks Mozilla for killing Explorer's monopoly! You made this possible)

I certainly hope that this move works well for Ubuntu (and the rest of contenders compromised with free software), it would be really nice if an "actually free" OS succeeded.
    Last edited by tartalo; January 2nd, 2013 at 08:50 PM.

Beans

This is awesome!

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    ...Hope this goes somewhere.
    And ASAP,
    I would buy a good quad core (dockable) phone with that on right now, if it were available. Very handy idea Canonical is sitting on here.

BTW you can register your interest for email news from Canaonical regarding Ubuntu on Phones etc, at the bottom of haqkings link, the section titled "Find out when it's here".

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

This looks pretty familiar....
    One year ago: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/01/u...nveiled-at-ces

Beans

Just watched the presentation video on Ubuntu.com. My quick capsule review - it looks fearsome!

Really lovely, hope they pull this off. The mobile market is difficult, but there's clearly a lovely product here. Good luck to all involved, and I look forward to getting one.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Look wonderful. Lots of good ideas in that video.

The only downside is that any tech company that records a talking head against a white background will inevitably invite Apple comparisons. Thankfully, Mark avoided using the word "magical".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    This looks pretty familiar....
    One year ago: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/01/u...nveiled-at-ces
    The decision to kill Unity 2D was quite a setback for them it would appear. However, Ubuntu for mobile sems to have more manpower and effort behind it. Last I heard, Ubuntu TV only had two guys working on it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Made the BBC:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20891868

I really do hope this works out, but Im sceptical....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Ubuntu phone OS

Quote Originally Posted by br0adband View Post
    Just watched the long video with Shuttleworth
    Is it on You Tube yet?
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast