Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu phone OS

Beans

Re: Ubuntu phone OS

It's going to be difficult to get users until phones come with the os pre-installed. People tend to use stock os which brings me to a few questions.

• Will the ubuntu os "rom" have all drivers for all phones like the ubuntu desktop does? Or will there be multiple roms? A difficulty people are experiencing with changing os in phones at the moment is you will need a specific rom for a phone NO not the N-7800, the N-7800i because you are using the international version!! CRAP you bricked your phone! I'm guessing there will be one OS that is installable on any phone... but won't that end up being pretty big? :S
    • How will these get installed? Through repair or service mode? Will you need to install Clockwork Recovery to install onto the system flash?
    • Only for Android compatible phones or can we get iphones and replace the ios?

Changing Android roms is pretty annoying, I hope installing ubuntu is easy and NOT confusing. It would be nice if the create computer software (and maybe app software?) that installs it for you, I'd hate for this to seem like just a hack.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Anderxale View Post
    Changing Android roms is pretty annoying, I hope installing ubuntu is easy and NOT confusing. It would be nice if the create computer software (and maybe app software?) that installs it for you, I'd hate for this to seem like just a hack.
    Flashing Android ROMs is an addiction for some..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Anderxale View Post
    Will the ubuntu os "rom" have all drivers for all phones like the ubuntu desktop does?
    I think that the intention is to have pre-installed Ubuntu. The same happens at the moment with Android, so drivers are put in by the manufacturer.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans

All I know is I would love some source so I could start porting... or did I miss it somewhere?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Smile Re: Ubuntu phone OS

Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    Merged.
    Thanks for that. I didn't do a good enough search.
    ASUS U24E

Beans

Ubuntu phone Source Code?

Should Ubuntu release the source code freely?

In this case, will we have more mobile OS, based on Ubuntu phone OS, developed by the community or other corporations separately?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Looks really nice. I wonder if the people developing apps for Android will be willing to port their apps to Ubuntu Phone OS? It would be great to have all these Android apps available on Ubuntu Phone OS as well (in case I ever buy a compatible phone). And this could eventually attract more people to the OS.
    Last edited by odiseo77; January 2nd, 2013 at 11:28 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

This is a really exciting concept, a truly open phone OS with a very good user interface. Furthermore one that can be docked to become a desktop. By the way since it is based on Ubuntu this means GPL v3 code deep in the OS and and consequently no locked bootloaders or lack of root access. Because of this the possibility of third party innovation and development on this platform is simply huge. For example how long before someone figures out how to run Android apps on this platform?

The one thing that it will lack that is present in the competition from Apple and Microsoft and in also many Android devices is DRM
    Is there any copy protection or digital rights management?

There is no native DRM framework within Ubuntu so there is no system-wide restrictions. We do not believe that DRM is a successful formula because it punishes law-abiding users and doesn’t stop the minority of pirates. However, we do not limit individual developers from using their own rights management system.
    from http://developer.ubuntu.com/publish/...software-faqs/

This lack of DRM alone will make it highly likely that my next phone will be running Ubuntu Phone OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I remember Ubuntu TV being displayed at CES 2012 and look where that went? NOWHERE. Now they are showing a Mobile Phone with Ubuntu at CES 2013, where will it go? Hopefully further then Ubuntu TV. They need OEM and Electronic manufactures to make this work, otherwise it's a pipe dream like Ubuntu TV.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu phone Source Code?

Quote Originally Posted by GnuKian View Post
    Should Ubuntu release the source code freely?
    I would suspect they probably have to, considering the amount of GPL code in Ubuntu.
    In this case, will we have more mobile OS, based on Ubuntu phone OS, developed by the community or other corporations separately?
    Well, this would be cool.

Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast