Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu phone OS

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Ubuntu phone OS

Quote Originally Posted by moocow1452 View Post
    ^^ I'm wondering, now that Canonical is going to have to compile every payware thing in the Ubuntu Software Center over again for ARM, would we have to worry about Fragmentation across processors?
    There is no problem if the proprietary application is written in html5 since this is cross platform. Html5 is the same technology that Microsoft is using for Windows 8 RT. If the proprietary application is native then yes the application vendor would have to provide binaries for each platform and fragmentation across platforms could become a serious issue in the future. The latter is the problem Microsoft is facing between x86 and ARM with 20 years+ of proprietary third party binaries.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Smile Re: Ubuntu phone OS

XDA Developers wants to work with Ubuntu - seems to be a good idea, maybe lots of beta testers available - https://www.change.org/petitions/can...untu-for-phone

I wonder why they doing this - Canonical brush them off or did they not contact them?
    Intel E5200Dual Core CPU, Gigabyte G31 mobo, 4 GB DDR800 mem, Intel graphics, 250 GB Seagate HDD, Liteon 22x DVD Rewriter, 17" HP LCD Ubuntu User # 17508

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chrismine View Post
    XDA Developers wants to work with Ubuntu - seems to be a good idea, maybe lots of beta testers available - https://www.change.org/petitions/can...untu-for-phone

I wonder why they doing this - Canonical brush them off or did they not contact them?
    It's XDA, and they have a new toy. That's about it.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clue

Beans

I think it would be pretty hard for Ubuntu to get into this market. If they get it right good for them but I have my doubts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    I think it would be pretty hard for Ubuntu to get into this market. If they get it right good for them but I have my doubts.
    It will be frighteningly hard, against the duopoly of Apple and Google, and now Microsoft.

Canonical's only chance is now, while it has a unique and brilliant solution. It is a risky chance, but by gosh I hope Canonical succeeds.

The competition to the existing "tripoly" would cause fantastic pressure to innovate — but, unfortunately, an increase in those outrageous software patents.

If Canonical succeeds, I suspect that it will be the start of a minor revolution.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    It will be frighteningly hard, against the duopoly of Apple and Google, and now Microsoft.

Canonical's only chance is now, while it has a unique and brilliant solution. It is a risky chance, but by gosh I hope Canonical succeeds.

The competition to the existing "tripoly" would cause fantastic pressure to innovate — but, unfortunately, an increase in those outrageous software patents.

If Canonical succeeds, I suspect that it will be the start of a minor revolution.
    Will Software patents affect this market, in certain quarters yes

but will will depend on the Target + it's origin ,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_patent
    Two tin cans are better than an iphone

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2067160_ma...hone.html?cr=1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Weird. Are you sure you have the latest version?
    Sorry it took so long to get back to your post. I have been down with the flu. Haven't touch a computer for three days. I think the worst is behind me.
    Here is what I installed.
    Ubuntu for Android.png
    I can't find Ubuntu for Android with Unity. Does anyone know if it even exists?
    I was trying to do this without rooting just to see how it would work.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Possibly. I live in the UK, and Canonical is UK-based. Everyone, even kids, have mobile phones here. I agree with haqking; Europeans find the American mobile plans weird.
    This put a smile on my face. I live in the USA and I find American mobile plans weird. That's why I don't have one. I pay as I go with my Go phone. I got hooked on this when I was in Africa a few years ago. I could never see buying something you might end up not being able to use because you don't want to play the game of some provider, that tells you, the customer that if you drop their service you still have to pay them and that phone you just bought will no longer work because they are going to lock it so you can't.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    I pay as I go with my Go phone. I got hooked on this when I was in Africa a few years ago.
    Pay as you go has been pretty big here for many years. It's even spread to other industries like landline services, electricity, internet data bundles etc etc etc. The downside is the cost per usage is usually higher than the equivalent cost per usage on a contract, you just need to check you average usage and then determine what works out cheaper for you. Some people don;t have a choice and have to do prepaid as financial vetting will exclude them from contracts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. C View Post
    Here is an article in Forbes that identifies why Ubuntu phone OS is so revolutionary in very simple terms. http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworst...-of-my-dreams/
    This article did a good job in bringing out where we are going with smart phone in the near future. This will be great for some but not for all. The reason I say this is because I am really not a phone guy.(to small for big hands). I believe I can live without a phone, but not my laptop. But here lately I find when I hit the road on a short trip, I travel lite with my Asus Transformer Tablet. But if I am going to be gone from home for days, they I will take my laptop. I do take my cell phone with, but sometimes I don't even turn it on.

Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast