Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: Chrome is out of date and can't be updated

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Beans
    211
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Chrome is out of date and can't be updated

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDudko View Post
    The problem was in the User Agent line. What did Windows do there?

    Yes, I know what it is doing there. I changed the user agent to that so that I could use Outlook mail on premium view. Otherwise, I was forced into basic view, which was annoying to use.
    He's watching you . . .
    WARNING: You are in the presence of a n00b. Stupid questions can and will be asked.
    "Better the pain of hard work than the pain of regret."

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Beans
    8,615
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Chrome is out of date and can't be updated

    Quote Originally Posted by HunterDX77M View Post
    Yes, I know what it is doing there. I changed the user agent to that so that I could use Outlook mail on premium view. Otherwise, I was forced into basic view, which was annoying to use.
    Alex's point is valid. I suggest you keep a second profile that has the modified user agent string and use that to access which ever sites need Chrome 6 for Windows:
    Code:
    User Agent	Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/6.0.481.0 Safari/534.4
    It's quite bizarre that a site would provide "full service" with Chrome 6 and not Chrome 20-something.

    BTW, you mention having both Adblock Plus and Adblock. I hope you don't run into issues on that score as well. I use the first.
    Shortened urls: See point #11 here. And clicking on them could be risky.
    Use ubuntu-support-status with caution.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Beans
    211
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Chrome is out of date and can't be updated

    Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    BTW, you mention having both Adblock Plus and Adblock. I hope you don't run into issues on that score as well. I use the first.
    No, no issues with them. I have both because ABP was what I used when I used to use Firefox. Chrome's well-known extension was a different Adblock, so I also installed that.

    Thanks again to all.
    He's watching you . . .
    WARNING: You are in the presence of a n00b. Stupid questions can and will be asked.
    "Better the pain of hard work than the pain of regret."

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Beans
    8,615
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Chrome is out of date and can't be updated

    Re. the need for switching the user agent string:
    Ever needed to quickly switch between user-agent strings on the fly? Developing a site that needs to work on both mobile browsers and desktop browsers? Sick of some archaic site blocking you because you're not using Netscape 4?

    The User-Agent Switcher for Chrome is the answer. With this extension, you can quickly and easily switch between user-agent strings. Also, you can set up specific URLs that you want to spoof every time.

    This version is new and improved, and not only modifies the user-agent sent with the HTTP requests, but also the javascript objects in the page.

    Version 1.0.18 updates the manifest version to version 2, and includes some new initial user-agent strings for newer mobile devices.
    Source: User-Agent Switcher for Chrome.
    Shortened urls: See point #11 here. And clicking on them could be risky.
    Use ubuntu-support-status with caution.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Beans
    8,615
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Chrome is out of date and can't be updated

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDudko View Post
    ...
    And Command Line:
    Code:
    Command Line /opt/google/chrome/google-chrome --flag-switches-begin --flag-switches-end
    Anyone interested in "fiddling" with the command line can look at Peter Beverloo's site
    Taking into account my laptop's age (and specs), mine looks like this:
    Code:
    /opt/google/chrome/google-chrome 
      --start-maximized 
      --profile-directory=Default 
      --proxy-server=127.0.0.1:8118 
      --flag-switches-begin 
        --disable-asynchronous-spellchecking 
        --disable-restore-session-state 
        --disable-threaded-animation 
        --disable-webgl 
        --disable-force-compositing-mode 
        --disable-sync-app-notifications 
        --disable-threaded-compositing 
      --flag-switches-end %U
    (The proxy-server is because I run the Default profile through Privoxy which I use in conjunction with ABP for content "management". I have another vanilla profile for some sites.)
    Shortened urls: See point #11 here. And clicking on them could be risky.
    Use ubuntu-support-status with caution.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •