Thread: about g05caf subprogram

Beans

about g05caf subprogram

Hello every one! I'm a new FORTRAN programmer and I 've gotten a confusion about some NAG library subprogram,the subprogram g05caf. I know that it is used to generate random numbers uniformly distributed in the range [0.0,1.0] and can be initialized by one of these two subroutines g05cbf or g05ccf.
    Now what I'm confused about is that is this subprogram (g05caf) a function or subroutine because the text book that I'm reading name it a routine but deal with it as a function not subroutine (declared as a function). So if some one can explain this matter?
    Note: you may like to have a look for my program, please open this link and refer to page number 48:
    http://mgg.coas.oregonstate.edu/~and...8fortran90.pdf
    Best regards
    gallo

Beans

Re: about g05caf subprogram

Are there any one can help this, please?

Beans

Re: about g05caf subprogram

Quote Originally Posted by mgallom View Post
    . . . . Now what I'm confused about is that is this subprogram (g05caf) a function or subroutine because the text book that I'm reading name it a routine but deal with it as a function not subroutine (declared as a function). So if some one can explain this matter? . . . .
    Whether a particular group of lines of code should be considered a function or a subroutine is actually rather arbitrary.

What makes the distinction is how you use that group of lines of code in your overall program: e.g., whether you declare it as a function or call it as a routine.
    Last edited by rewyllys; January 5th, 2013 at 11:55 AM.