Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to boot into chroot

Beans

Re: How to boot into chroot

Quote Originally Posted by cwsnyder View Post
    The only way that I have seen or heard for having 2 distros in one partition is to have one of them a Virtual Machine, which, NO, can't be booted to from GRUB, but has to have the host machine installed first.

It works like WUBI/Mint4Win.
    But I can boot into live iso image stored in my primary linux partition and according to above link it seems possible. But I have grub 2 installed, if I had legacy grub I could try it. In Grub2 I managed to boot into iso image by following menuentry
    menuentry "UBUNTU ISO" {
    set isofile="/boot/iso/ubuntu-12.04.1-desktop-i386.iso"
    loopback loop (hd0,1)$isofile
    linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=$isofile noprompt noeject
    initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
    }

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

A Live CD iso is a self-contained, non-updating, non-changing image on the drive. You can make changes for the Live session, but they do not persist past a reboot. Booting into that type of image is EXACTLY the same as booting from a CD in your CD drive.

To have 2 WORKING and updating installations, the 'second' installation is going to have to be virtualized.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cwsnyder View Post
    A Live CD iso is a self-contained, non-updating, non-changing image on the drive. You can make changes for the Live session, but they do not persist past a reboot. Booting into that type of image is EXACTLY the same as booting from a CD in your CD drive.

To have 2 WORKING and updating installations, the 'second' installation is going to have to be virtualized.
    I think I was misunderstood. I don't want boot into both of them and run at the same time. I wondered if it's possible to turn a chroot into a distro installation as a guy managed it in a different linux distro in the link. Thank you all.

Beans

This link provide us with a solution about booting into subdirectory. I post it as a reference http://unix.stackexchange.com/questi...on-a-partition

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12