Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We need an SSD maintenance utility

Beans

Unhappy We need an SSD maintenance utility

I have installed Ubuntu 12.10 on a solid state disk on my desktop computer.
    I know SSDs need periodic maintenance to keep their performance up to their full capability, since I ported Windows 7 to an SSD I installed in my laptop and I use the Intel utility to keep the drive cleaned/trimmed/happy or whatever you call it.
    I tried to find out how to do this for my Ubuntu drive but frankly I am not sufficiently experienced in programming to understand and implement the fixes suggested in the forums. I know that the respondents think their answers are helpful but they're just too far above my user level to help.
    If Ubuntu wants to appeal to a larger user community, I think this will become a problem area in the future. I always recommend Ubuntu to my friends but I really don't want to have to add a 'but it's not really easy to use it with an SSD'.
    Can't we develop an SSD cleanup/tuneup utility program that could be downloaded from the Ubuntu Software Center and used by those of us with low levels of technical expertise? Sure would be helpful to me.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: We need an SSD maintenance utility

I think it is a good idea. But the development guys don't spend much time at the Ubuntu Forums. Maybe you have better luck publishing your idea at

http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gonzo74405 View Post
    I have installed Ubuntu 12.10 on a solid state disk on my desktop computer.
    I know SSDs need periodic maintenance to keep their performance up to their full capability, since I ported Windows 7 to an SSD I installed in my laptop and I use the Intel utility to keep the drive cleaned/trimmed/happy or whatever you call it.
    I tried to find out how to do this for my Ubuntu drive but frankly I am not sufficiently experienced in programming to understand and implement the fixes suggested in the forums. I know that the respondents think their answers are helpful but they're just too far above my user level to help.
    If Ubuntu wants to appeal to a larger user community, I think this will become a problem area in the future. I always recommend Ubuntu to my friends but I really don't want to have to add a 'but it's not really easy to use it with an SSD'.
    Can't we develop an SSD cleanup/tuneup utility program that could be downloaded from the Ubuntu Software Center and used by those of us with low levels of technical expertise? Sure would be helpful to me.
    if you are using Linux then it will be using Ext3 or 4 or other Linux Filesystem which does not need maintenance like windows does using NTFS, no defragmention is really needed.

As long as you set up your FSTAB to enable TRIM and the like then there is nothing really to do. it only take a few seconds to enter the entries into /etc/fstab and then you pretty good to go.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    if you are using Linux then it will be using Ext3 or 4 or other Linux Filesystem which does not need maintenance like windows does using NTFS, no defragmention is really needed.

As long as you set up your FSTAB to enable TRIM and the like then there is nothing really to do. it only take a few seconds to enter the entries into /etc/fstab and then you pretty good to go.
    Please explain with an example!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Edit your /etc/fstab file using the following command:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/fstab
    And add the discard option to any partitions that live on your SSD, mine looks like this:
    Code:
    # 
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information
    #
    # <file system>        <dir>            <type>    <options>          <dump>  <pass>
    LABEL=arch-root        /                ext4      discard,noatime    0       1
    LABEL=arch-home        /home            ext4      discard,noatime    0       2
    LABEL=data             /mnt/data        ext4      defaults           0       2
    LABEL=emulation        /mnt/emulation   ext4      defaults           0       0
    Adding noatime as well will reduce the number of writes to the SSD.
    Last edited by Cheesemill; December 31st, 2012 at 10:31 PM.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Please explain with an example!
    In addition to cheesemill ninja'in me above.

http://apcmag.com/how-to-maximise-ss...with-linux.htm

http://wiki.freeswitch.org/wiki/SSD_Tuning_for_Linux

an example from my fstab
    Code:
    UUID=de961735-1d84-4c72-8abe-fefa7b03a708 /SSD2DATA       ext4    defaults,noatime,discard,errors=remount-ro
    I also place /tmp in ram
    Code:
    # Place tmp into ram
    tmpfs       /tmp        tmpfs       defaults,mode=1777      0   0
    Along with a few other options
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I have had a SSD disk for about 6 months now. I have not noticed any slow down or lack of performance. It is just as fast as when I bought it.

My PC is on 24 hours a day, and is only restarted when a update requires it. My SSD is formated in ext4 format.

Cheesemill, what does discard do?
    I haven't done any of this, so will my SSD have a shorter lifespan?

Beans

I don't use ubuntu anymore (switched to debian) I have recently figured out this stuff for myself.
    Here's my understanding:

TRIM is just a fancy set of rules that the PC will use when you write and erase data. It sounds harder than it actually is. There's a file called /etc/fstab that controls the way your system uses different partitions and you need to change a line of text in that file with a text editor like "gedit" or "nano".

Go to youtube if you want some examples of how trim actually works. Basically, it's nicer about how it erases stuff, minimizing the number of writes to the drive. I recommend it for anyone with an ssd.

Just do what cheesemill said. If you're not sure, just post the text from your /etc/fstab and we can show you what changes to make. Yours might look different from cheesemill's one.

/etc/fstab it very important, so you might want to back it up first with "sudo cp /etc/fstab ~/fstab-backup" in case of mistakes.

I hope you can find what you are looking for, I fully agree that there should be a graphical utility for this in Ubuntu. Admittedly, such problems are what got me enough hands-on experience that I've come to prefer debian even though it's like that all the time.

EDIT: pompel9. I recommend enabling trim. SSD drives have a limited number of writes before they wear out. Also, because modern operating systems keep lots of log files that are updated constantly, I do not recommend leaving it on continuously. This constant writing means that it wears out your PC even when its idling. But, the fast startup time makes it more convenient to just turn it on when you need it. It also saves electricity, lol.
    Last edited by Penguinnerd; December 31st, 2012 at 10:41 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thank you

I found the following text about discard in
    Code:
    man mount
    Code:
    discard/nodiscard
           Controls whether ext4 should issue discard/TRIM commands to  the  underlying
           block  device  when  blocks  are  freed.  This is useful for SSD devices and
           sparse/thinly-provisioned LUNs, but it is off by  default  until  sufficient
           testing has been done.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Thank you for the information sudodus.

I think I will not use that until they have completed the testing. I do not want to damage my SSD.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast