Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nvidia 9600 GT and Ubuntu 12.10

Beans

Nvidia 9600 GT and Ubuntu 12.10

So I decided to try coming back to Ubuntu again after my crappy Windows 8 trial experience has run out and still having the same major issues I had with Ubuntu before. My problem is that any Nvidia driver I put onto my system through any methods simply crashes my system and makes it unusable. I've used the methods that Nvidia specifies through their read-me and set everything manually, used Jockey, installed through apt-get and they all just crash the system. I thought in my last attempt that it may have been due to the fact that I accidentally upgraded to xorg 1.13 and couldn't roll back to 1.12, but I just did a full clean install and have'nt upgraded anything xorg related to see if anyone might have some suggestions on what might be the problem before trying to install drivers again. I think one part of the scenario is that my card, although a 9600 GT, is an off brand and may not be like the other 9600 GT sets. I think that because I had issues with running the Nvidia 310 driver update when I was running Windows 8.

Sorry for the long description, I just want my card running on Ubuntu and to be able to play some games nicely so that I don't have to go back to Windows again. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Nvidia 9600 GT and Ubuntu 12.10

I upgraded to a 9600GT about 3 years ago when my 7600GS blew out its capacitors.

I have had no issue with my nVidia other than it needs nomodeset on liveCD/flash and on first boot.

But with 12.10 I ran into the issue of no kernel headers like many others. Once you install the kernel header then it works. I am using current-updates in 12.04 and primarily use 12.04. But I always install one of the versions offered by Ubuntu.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2081649
    # You may need headers - meta package for current version:
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
    # only reason to purge is there are several versions, if you know you have different nVidia use that:
    #To see available versions:
    dpkg -l | grep -i nvidia*
    apt-cache search nvidia-sett*
    # I used nvidia-current-updates & nvidia-settings-updates, example below is just nvidia-current, use version you prefer
    sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure nvidia-current
    sudo nvidia-xconfig
    sudo reboot
    May want nvidia-current, nvidia-current-updates or nvidia-current-experimental-XXX for most recent testing version.
    apt-cache search nvidia-sett*
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm trying your instructions now and will post results.

Beans

No luck, computer is unusable again. I'm booting to recovery mode to purge nvidia drivers and then going to try using the nvidia-current-updates.

Beans

Ok so I tried a few different versions and they all failed. Then even tried another setting that I discovered in my research and tried adding "nomodeset" to the grub configuration and updating grub. And then after the boot screen reloaded twice and I started lightdm I was able to boot up and start a game that I downloaded just to test, it loaded and when I tried to make it full screen and at my monitors resolution it crashed the system once again.

Beans

Now the system is completely unusable, boot screen comes up and the wallpaper loads then it crashes and goes back to login screen. I'm at a complete loss of what to do now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Which version nVidia did you install?

Mine just works. So I am not sure how to debug. I will reboot back into 12.10 and see that it still works as I have not updated it recently.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I started with nvidia-current, then nvidia-current-updates, then nvidia-experemental-310. Had to go into recovery mode mount the disk and purge the drivers each time, then ran nvidia-xconfig to update the inframs to the version I was using. Then I realised that my Xorg was on 1.13 so I did a little bit of searching and found the nvidia 304.20 I think it was that supports 1.13 installed that and then was stuck at the continuous lightdm crashing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I confirmed I am using current updates. And only ran the settings that I posted as far as I remember. But I was trying several different things until I found what worked.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I think one part of the scenario is that my card, although a 9600 GT, is an off brand and may not be like the other 9600 GT sets.
    Which brand is it? I have a 9600M on an old laptop which works fine, zero issues, on Xubuntu 12.10 (Unity might be causing the crashes, who knows!).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast