Thread: Be careful of Tumbleweed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Be careful of Tumbleweed

I have to warn others that use OpenSuSE not to try out Tumbleweed unless you are absolutely sure you know what you are doing and you are willing to monitor which software packages are being added from which software repository at all times during a zypper up or dup. I had a lot of problems with OpenSuSE 64 bit Tumbleweed when I mixed software repositories together from third-party software sources. It wound up borking my system.

Stick with the latest version of OpenSuSE 64 bit if you can't handle the constant influx of changes and new stable software packages from Tumbleweed.

Otherwise, I switched back to Ubuntu 12.04.1 64 bit LTS because it's a lot more stable and reliable than OpenSuSE 64 bit Tumbleweed. I can finally relax a little bit and use my System76 PC instead of worrying if my next update will trash my operating system when I used OpenSuSE 64 bit Tumbleweed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Be careful of Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed is rolling (hence the name), and things happen in rolling releases.

Factory is not unlike the development versions of Ubuntu and is likely to break frequently.

You could use 12.2 if you want to use a stable release.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I had a lot of problems with OpenSuSE 64 bit Tumbleweed when I mixed software repositories together from third-party software sources. It wound up borking my system.
    And thats exactly why they recommend to NOT mix software repositories with Tumbleweed:

http://forums.opensuse.org/content/5...umbleweed.html

Ubuntu 12.04.1 64 bit LTS because it's a lot more stable and reliable than OpenSuSE 64 bit Tumbleweed
    Don't compare apples and oranges. The goals of 12.04 and Tumbleweed are obviously different.

Beans

I was considering using a rolling distro, but if they're really that problematic, forget it. I might consider a half-rolling distro, just have to find one that I like.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by handsheldhigh View Post
    I was considering using a rolling distro, but if they're really that problematic, forget it. I might consider a half-rolling distro, just have to find one that I like.
    arch has been great for me. only thing is you sometimes have to merge text files after an update. no real big deal imo. OP this thread wasn't nescessary. If you install a development version of a stable distro you do so at your own risk. The be careful part is implied when you do it
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.