Thread: how update bios driver?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question how update bios driver?

i read some where that updating bios driver is possible and useful.
    how can i update my hp pavilion dv2500 notebook bios using ubuntu 12.04?
    Forza Linux زنده باد لینوکس
    MrAli
    http://alihzadeh.blog.ir/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: how update bios driver?

I don't know where you read that ... but there is no such thing as a "BIOS driver" ...

You should NOT even attempt to update your BIOS unless, (1) there is something specific that the new BIOS version provides or (2) there is a specific problem that the new BIOS version fixes.

You need to check the documentation that came with your Notebook and see what it says about doing BIOS updates. There are generally done one of two ways. First, using a utility that runs in MS Windows. Second, using some special key combination that boots you into an environment that allows you to update the BIOS.

If you don't have either of these -- leave it alone! IF you make a mistake trying to do this, you will end up with an expensive electric "brick".
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Chogan View Post
    There is no such thing as bios driver Yes, it's possible. No, it's not usefull unless something does not work that can be blamed on the BIOS or there is new functionality in the BIOS that you really can't live without.

Check the HP website if there are linux tools available for Ubuntu. Check the user manual of the machine to see what is required; if you're lucky there can be some kind of functionality in the BIOS to do the upgrade.
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans
    Distro

hi
    !!!!!!!!!!!! listen to Mark Phelps post (especially the last sentence) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    cheers
    "What is the robbing of a bank compared to the FOUNDING of a bank?" Berthold Brecht

Beans

Flashing BIOS is risky, that's true. But I always do it, because of an irrational reason: it makes me feel like I have a new piece of hardware.

In all the years that I've flashed BIOS'es, only one motherboard was bricked because of it. And I've flashed hundreds of times....

So the risk is not great, provided that you do it carefully.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Methods vary by motherboard see the documentation as Mark suggested. Unless the update addresses issues with your current hardware there is no need.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have been using this self-built desktop for five years. I have never flashed the BIOS. I have not had the need. But I can tell you this, I have yet to see an ASUS utility that will let me flash the BIOS in Linux. ASUS has given me utilities to do it in Windows and even from DOS but not from Linux. So, if I do ever flash the BIOS I will have to do it using the DOS floppy disk utility that is on the ASUS drivers CD.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I have been using this self-built desktop for five years. I have never flashed the BIOS. I have not had the need. But I can tell you this, I have yet to see an ASUS utility that will let me flash the BIOS in Linux. ASUS has given me utilities to do it in Windows and even from DOS but not from Linux. So, if I do ever flash the BIOS I will have to do it using the DOS floppy disk utility that is on the ASUS drivers CD.

Regards.
    You can use a memory stick + Unetbootin + FreeDOS for that. Did it many times like that; works fine. No need for Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Pjotr123 View Post
    You can use a memory stick + Unetbootin + FreeDOS for that. Did it many times like that; works fine. No need for Windows.
    +1 That's the method I use on some of my machines.

On newer machines there is often a key you can press when you boot (it's End on my Giga-Byte mobo) to flash directly from a BIOS image saved to a USB drive, thus removing the need for Windows or DOS altogether.
    Last edited by Cheesemill; December 30th, 2012 at 06:03 PM.
    Cheesemill