Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't install grub. OS not bootable.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Can't install grub. OS not bootable.

I recently decided to install lubuntu on an old desktop PC. It's 3GHz P4 with a half meg of ram. I had openSUSE 11.4 on there, but KDE seemed to be too much for it. The install went fine, but it wouldn't boot.

No problem, I thought. I have a Kubuntu 11.4 liveCD laying around, so I booted with that and attempted a rescue. (I installed lubuntu with netboot, so I don't happen to have that on CD or USB).

Boot-Repair wouldn't install onto the system. I tried adding the PPA and such as it is described in the community documents, but it returned an error saying that it was unable to find the package boot-repair.

So now onto plan C, reinstall grub via the command line without the benefit of boot repair. For the most part, I followed the instructions that I found here Installing Grub with chroot.

When the system boots, it says grub loading stage 1.5, and then returns error 15 and hangs. I guess this computer has legacy grub on there from the last system.

So here is my attempt to reinstall grub.

I'll start with a list of my partitions. Here are the results of parted and blkid
    Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo parted -l
    Model: ATA ST340014A (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 40.0GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
     1      32.3kB  40.0GB  40.0GB  primary  ntfs         boot

Model: ATA Maxtor 4D040H2 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sdb: 41.0GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system     Flags
     1      1049kB  107MB   106MB   primary   ext4
     2      107MB   13.0GB  12.9GB  primary   ext4
     3      13.0GB  41.0GB  28.0GB  extended                  lba
     5      13.0GB  39.4GB  26.4GB  logical   ext4
     6      39.4GB  41.0GB  1611MB  logical   linux-swap(v1)

Warning: Unable to open /dev/sr0 read-write (Read-only file system).  /dev/sr0
    has been opened read-only.
    Error: /dev/sr0: unrecognised disk label         

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo blkid
    /dev/loop0: TYPE="squashfs" 
    /dev/sda1: UUID="9618C90E18C8EDF5" TYPE="ntfs" 
    /dev/sdb1: UUID="caabcd3e-c343-4526-9e6c-e33243233943" TYPE="ext4" 
    /dev/sdb2: UUID="7ffad25c-ddc1-4627-91da-ca7d2dd3e644" TYPE="ext4" 
    /dev/sdb5: LABEL="beershelf folder" UUID="43c4066b-edf2-42af-9ca9-2663b18b7c62" TYPE="ext4" 
    /dev/sdb6: UUID="27788ab1-7394-410b-a0af-504aed8308c3" TYPE="swap" 
    /dev/ramzswap0: TYPE="swap"
    /dev/sda1 is Windows XP and lubuntu is on /dev/hdb

/dev/sdb1 is the /boot partition
    /dev/sdb2 is the / partition
    /dev/sdb5 is the /home partion
    /dev/sdb6 is swap

So, mount my lubuntu on /mnt
    Please have a look and let me know if I made any errors.

Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/boot
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount /dev/sdb5 /mnt/home
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount -o bind /proc /mnt/proc
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount -v -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
    /dev on /mnt/dev type none (rw,bind)
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount -v -o bind /sys /mnt/sys
    /sys on /mnt/sys type none (rw,bind)
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount -v -o bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts
    /dev/pts on /mnt/dev/pts type none (rw,bind)
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo mount -v -o bind /run /mnt/run
    mount: special device /run does not exist
    I guess there is no directory /run. There was one in the example.

Now everything is ready. chroot into mount and install grub.

Code:
    root@ubuntu:/# grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot /dev/sda
    /usr/sbin/grub-bios-setup: warning: Sector 32 is already in use by the program `FlexNet'; avoiding it.  This software may cause boot or other problems in future.  Please ask its authors not to store data in the boot track.
    Installation finished. No error reported.
    root@ubuntu:/# grub-install --boot-directory=/mnt/boot --recheck /dev/sda
    /usr/sbin/grub-bios-setup: warning: Sector 32 is already in use by the program `FlexNet'; avoiding it.  This software may cause boot or other problems in future.  Please ask its authors not to store data in the boot track.

root@ubuntu:/# update-grub
    Generating grub.cfg ...
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0-21-generic
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.5.0-21-generic
    Found memtest86+ image: /memtest86+.bin
    Found Microsoft Windows XP Professional on /dev/sda1
    done
    Everything looks good. But when I reboot, I'm right back where I started. It says loading grub stage 1.5, and then grub error 15.

What is the problem?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Can't install grub. OS not bootable.

With the new versions of grub2, you really need to repair with the same version. The full chroot should have worked.

The sector 32 in use, is usually flexnet DRM software. New version of grub2 have a work around. Flexnet is used by very proprietary software in Windows that want DRM so you cannot copy it.

Are you booting from sda, not sdb? I usually prefer to keep Windows boot loader on the Windows drive so it can boot directly & then install grub2 to the Ubuntu drive and set that as boot in BIOS as it will chain load back to Windows.

Error 15 is usually mixed grub legacy & grub2. Often from the chroot you need to do a full uninstall of grub & grub2 & the /boot/grub folder and totally reinstall grub2.

# HOWTO: Purge and Reinstall Grub 2 from the live-CD/DVD/USB - drs305
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1581099

HowTo: Revert from grub2 to Legacy Grub or grub to grub2
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...to_GRUB_Legacy
    Older threads kansasnoob
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1298932
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1247994

Were you tring to install the correct version of Boot-Repair. I think it does not have a version for 11.04 as that is now obsolete. But you can download a full ISO to use as a repair install. If older system you may need 32 bit version?
    Boot Repair -Also handles LVM, GPT, separate /boot and UEFI dual boot.:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks oldfred. I burned the lubuntu desktop CD so that I had something that was up to date and started again. I followed the directions from the
    # HOWTO: Purge and Reinstall Grub 2 from the live-CD/DVD/USB - drs305
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1581099
    but I couldn't seem to access the repositories and I got an error about unable to resolve host names or something. I copied the resolv.conf like the HOWTO said, and that seemed to help, but there were still some errors.

I went back to boot-repair and I was able to install that this time. It worked. Grub seems to be installed on /dev/sdb, which is ok, but I was really trying to install it to /dev/sda. /dev/sda still has legacy grub on there and after a couple of days of trying to remove it, I'm starting to think it isn't going to leave.

Now every time I boot I have to go into my bios and select the primary slave to boot from. There doesn't seem to be any way to set this permanently.

/dev/sda is Windows XP. My last install on this computer was openSUSE 11.4 on /dev/sdb, and I installed grub legacy to the MBR on /dev/sda at that time. It seemed to work well, so I figured just install grub there again.

Incidentally, Windows XP isn't working now. I don't think it's any fault of boot loader, since it starts but hangs part way through the boot process. I tried to reinstall Windows XP today, but it returned an error while formatting the Windows partition /dev/sda1. Maybe there is a problem with the primary master hard drive.

Nevertheless, it doesn't take much to write grub2 to the MBR of /dev/sda1. Why doesn't this work? Why is legacy grub still on there?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Did you use sda1 to write grub? That would be why Windows would stop working. All NTFS partitions (whether bootable or not) have to have a NTFS boot signature. If you installed grub to sda1 you overwrote the XP boot in the partition. NTFS does have a backup PBR & testdisk can repair it. But if you have reinstalled I am not sure where you are at.

Post link to BootInfo report from Boot-Repair.

You should be able to directly install grub2's boot loader to sda. If booted, just run this.

#reinstall from working (not live-CD/DVD/USB) system - first find Ubuntu drive (example is drive sda but use your drive not partitions):
    sudo fdisk -l
    #if it's "/dev/sda" then just run:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    #If that returns any errors run:
    sudo grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
    sudo update-grub

Must be an older IDE system. Newer one's with cable select have BIOS that let you boot either drive and remembered that if set as default in BIOS. Older systems only booted from sda or primary master set with jumpers on drive and BIOS was very limited.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Concerning the chroot process you tried earlier, you mixed it up a little. You use the --root-directory or --boot-directory option in grub-install only when doing it from live mode WITHOUT chroot (because you can do it that way too).

Once you are inside the chroot, it knows where / and /boot is, so you use only:
    grub-install /dev/sda

for example.

Also, for chroot you don't need to mount the /home partition, leave it alone. You only need to mount / and /boot if you have it. A more precise chroot procedure you can find in one of my older posts:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...1&postcount=29

In the first commnd where / is mounted you will have to adjust for your situation, and mount the /boot too if it exists. Also the grub-install command needs to be adjusted depending where you want to install grub2.

Also, you can install it on both /dev/sda and /dev/sdb and that way it will not make a difference from which disk you boot. As oldfred said, in cases it's better to keep the windows bootloader on /dev/sda but only in case your computer bios allows you to boot from /dev/sdb. If you can boot only from /dev/sda then you will have to have grub2 on it.

Again, as oldfred mentioned, you will need to check whether the XP stopped booting because you put grub2 on /dev/sda1.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Beans
    Distro

I tried some more things, but grub legacy is still on the MBR. I booted the windows install disks, and got into the recovery screen and typed fixboot and fixmbr. The messaged returned successful, but when I rebooted, still got grub error 15.

Next I attempted to overwrite the MBR with dd, and then reinstall grub. Here it is.
    Code:
    fred@beershelf:~/Computer$ sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=446 count=1
    1+0 records in
    1+0 records out
    446 bytes (446 B) copied, 0.0342275 s, 13.0 kB/s
    fred@beershelf:~/Computer$ sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    Here is the boot script from boot-repair. http://paste.ubuntu.com/1477729/ This is after executing all of the commands above.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It is still showing grub legacy in sda?

Your dd should have overwritten it??

Your grub install should have installed grub2, unless you really are booting with grub legacy. But all your files are grub2???

Grub error 15 is usually grub legacy and grub2 incompatibilities. Or error is from grub legacy as grub2 does not have error numbers.

Did you try Boot-Repair on installing grub2.

Grub2 also has an option to totally uninstall grub & grub2 and reinstall grub2.

You must have some DRM software in Windows that uses flexnet for the DRM. Grub2 has to write work arounds for sector 32 as its core.img is larger than grub legacy's stage 1.5.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't know if it uses sector 32 but sometimes there is also an option in BIOS to "protect" the MBR from writing. Make sure you don't have some option like that enabled or some software inside windows preventing you touching the bootloader. Although I don't see how a software in windows can prevent grub being overwritten when you are working with linux tools outside windows.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Beans
    Distro

Re: Can't kill Flexnet with dd!

Thanks for the help oldfred. There seems to be a lot of posts about Flexnet on Sector 32 and grub. Everyone seems to fix it easily enough with dd. Doesn't seem to work here. Take a look.

Code:
    fred@beershelf:~$ sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=62 seek=1
    62+0 records in
    62+0 records out
    31744 bytes (32 kB) copied, 0.0275476 s, 1.2 MB/s
    fred@beershelf:~$ sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    Any other ideas?

Beans
    Distro

Oh nevermind. I'm pretty sure that the hdd on /dev/sda is bad. I just tried to install windows XP on it, again, only to have it say it couldn't be installed for one reason or another. Then I tried to install lubuntu on it and it said that there was a problem with the drive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast