Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unity still drives me crazy

Beans

Re: Unity still drives me crazy

Quote Originally Posted by pompel9 View Post
    It is very easy to open the terminal. Just use this keyboard shortcut: ctrl + alt + t.

As for unity, I can give you my personal opinion. Unity is the reason that I chose Ubuntu. I was leaving windows because of windows 8. I had to read a lot in the beginning, since I was completely new to linux. But I find Ubuntu much easier to use than windows.

And you are never to old to learn something new. All people learn something every day. The myth that older people can't learn, is just that. Older people learn by using past experience. Younger people learn in a different way (can't remember what they called it at the moment).
    Just my opinion.
    pompel9

Thanks for the Ol' guy support. I usually do try to learn new things - but frustration is another matter. You hit the ball outta the park when you suggest using ctrl + alt + t
    Trying to remember all these "shortcuts" and terminal commands is one of my problems. I'll be trying to do something - and then I have to stop a figure out the proper command and where to find it.
    ADHD isn't quite as much fun as it sounds.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I too can't stand unity. I just installed Ubuntu 12.04.1, but dropped back to my old desktop that looks like Windows XP, which I still use and I like consistency between the 2 os interfaces. Most of what I did are in threads under my name, so look through them. You can search the forum by user name. If you have questions send me a private message and I will post replies. My complaint with Ubuntu is that I have to make so many changes to get it the way I want it that it takes an inordinate amount of research and time to get it done. I've been looking at Kubuntu, but I can't get the latest version to boot from a live cd on my Compaq Preserio 2100. It ends up with a blank screen. So I don't know if that will go anywhere.

Anyway, good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

If you are having troubles with commands, then I suggest that you do not use the terminal. All you do in the terminal can be done by other easier means.

When you talk about FF and that it does not open full page width, what do you mean exactly? Is it the page that does not fill the entire window?
    If it is, then that is easily fixed by using nosquint (it's an addon to FF). Once installed you can easily zoom in and out with the easy accessed + and - buttons. I use it often, since I use my main computer on a TV. And I have to zoom in to make it big enough. It also remembers your settings for each page you visit. So you use it only one time per website.

Hope that helps.

Beans

Hold on, you want to return to a previous operating system just because you lost your Firefox passwords? Be careful what you ask for. Someone might tell you how to do it.

You really, really, don't want to do that.
    1. You don't have to use Unity.
    2. Reverting to a previous version won't get you out of Unity.
    3. Reverting to a previous version won't solve your Firefox problem.
    4. Reverting to a previous version won't solve any problem, actually.

OK, we should be giving you simple solutions and options. I'm sure you just want the simplest way to getting back as close as possible to what you had. (Sure, we can tell you how to spring for something completely different, but that's not what you asked for.)

First the Unity problem
    The simplest solution is probably just to use Gnome Classic or Gnome Classic (without effects). That's probably what you were doing before. You choose it when you log in. There's a button for that, that you press before you enter your password. (Note to would-be helpers: remember, 11.10 had Unity as the default, so the OP has been successfully avoiding Unity for months already. Don't require him to rearrange his whole life.)

If you don't have that option, then you need to install gnome-session-fallback. You can install it from Synaptic Package Manager or from the Ubuntu Software Center. If you don't find that package, let us know, and we will provide additional instructions.

OK, other people suggested that you change desktops completely or go to another system entirely. In your case I don't recommend that. You want to keep it simple, and this is the way to do it.

Second the Firefox problem
    You lost your passwords, etc. For my information, did you use a custom location for your Firefox profile? Or did you do anything fancy like sharing profiles with another computer? Or did you use the Firefox Sync service or some extension to store your data?

We're not great on Firefox support here. I assume you tried support.mozilla.org and forums.mozillazine.org ?
    Last edited by VanillaMozilla; January 7th, 2013 at 08:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Gnusboy,

You like Ubuntu but not Unity. Join the club.

I used Ubuntu 12.04 in Classic mode initially but I have now moved to Xubuntu 12.04 and not regretted it one bit.

I recommend that you give it a try. What do you have to lose?

Dedoimedo and others seem to rate it highly.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/x...-pangolin.html

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/xubuntu-quetzal.html

http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfec...-xubuntu-12.04

Download Xubuntu 12.04.1 from here:

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/re...ecise/release/

Beans

Other desktops such as LXDE (my own favorite) and XFCE are fine, but you might want to know that any of them will add lots of programs that you don't want and don't need. You're going to wind up with a mixture of desktops, and your menus will have lots of extraneous entries, etc., that you may want to clean up. If you're clever and spend another few days on it, you can avoid some of this. I'm sure there will be other costs too.

If you decide to take the simple way and stick with Gnome Classic (aka fallback), the one thing you need to know about it (if you don't already), is that to move items on the task bars, etc., you need to press the <alt> key and right click or click the mouse. The <alt> key prevents making accidental changes.

Beans
    Distro

Originally posted by vanadium
    For me, Unity is by far the most efficient desktop I ever used, staying out of the way while I work, allowing to summon an application with three to four keystrokes, and allowing a better overview of running tasks than other desktop environments.
    Fortunately, there is plenty of choice, within Ubuntu and within the entire linux ecossystem. Hence there are few reasons for whining.
    Whilst I personally dislike Unity, vanadium's point about the available choice in Linux should be carved in stone.

Ubuntu 10.04 fans and Gnome 2 fans should try the alpha 5 version of SolusOS 2.
    I am looking forward to the final release of SolusOS 2 later this year.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SolusOS

Beans

SolusOS2 may indeed be Gnome 2 as claimed, but I doubt it. It's based on Debian Wheezy. The screen shot looks like Gnome 3 with the Gnome fallback desktop. The OP can get the same thing with a single mouse click, or at worst, by installing a single package. There's no need for a whole new distro.

But if it is Gnome 2 as they say, the OP will once again be faced with major upheaval when Gnome 2 is completely terminated in the near future.
    Last edited by VanillaMozilla; January 8th, 2013 at 04:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro

This release utilises the Gnome Classic Desktop Environment 3.4 (not fallback), which is heavily tweaked to behave and look the same as Gnome 2.
    Quote from SolusOS.

SolusOS Alpha 5 details:

http://solusos.com/blog/2012/06/solu...ha-5-released/

I was simply emphasising the point about the numerous quality choices which are available in Linux OSs. In my opinion this is a particularly good Linux OS and I wish it well. The OP must make up his own mind about which OS he chooses.
    Last edited by forkandles; January 8th, 2013 at 05:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Cinnamon DE is very user friendly and has a very shallow learning curve
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution: Dual Boot -Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus with Cinnamon DE and Linux Mint 18 Sarah Cinnamon

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast