Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting Lubuntu close to being a "gnome-classic" replacement

Beans

Getting Lubuntu close to being a "gnome-classic" replacement

I've been working on this "on the side" and I'm definitely gaining ground, as they say a picture is worth a thousand words:

Screenshot - 12292012 - 03:59:30 PM.jpg

Screenshot - 12292012 - 04:01:06 PM.jpg

Screenshot - 12292012 - 04:02:50 PM.jpg

Screenshot - 12292012 - 04:05:02 PM.jpg

Caffeine works just as well as the old 'gnome-inhibit-applet' to control 'xscreensaver', and some people don't like the limitations of 'gnome-screensaver' now anyway.

I managed to get the "indicator-applet" to display cpu/system temps, but I need to rinse-n-repeat a few times before I can document how I did it.

The Clearlooks theme is easy to modify so it's fairly easy to get things to look quite "gnome-2-ish"

But there are a few minor frustrations ......... mostly just a matter of me needing to spend some time figuring out the LXDE and PCManFM config file structures, but there is absolutely no need for anyone to fear that the old desktop paradigm is dying

NOTE: This is a "mash-up" of both Quantal and Raring packages because some things are not yet available in Raring

BTW I'm sure that others will prefer Xubuntu/Xfce and that's just fine.
    Last edited by kansasnoob; December 29th, 2012 at 11:30 PM.

Beans

Re: Getting Lubuntu close to being a "gnome-classic" replacement

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I've been working on this "on the side" and I'm definitely gaining ground, as they say a picture is worth a thousand words:

Screenshot - 12292012 - 03:59:30 PM.jpg

Screenshot - 12292012 - 04:01:06 PM.jpg

Screenshot - 12292012 - 04:02:50 PM.jpg

Screenshot - 12292012 - 04:05:02 PM.jpg

Caffeine works just as well as the old 'gnome-inhibit-applet' to control 'xscreensaver', and some people don't like the limitations of 'gnome-screensaver' now anyway.

I managed to get the "indicator-applet" to display cpu/system temps, but I need to rinse-n-repeat a few times before I can document how I did it.

The Clearlooks theme is easy to modify so it's fairly easy to get things to look quite "gnome-2-ish"

But there are a few minor frustrations ......... mostly just a matter of me needing to spend some time figuring out the LXDE and PCManFM config file structures, but there is absolutely no need for anyone to fear that the old desktop paradigm is dying

NOTE: This is a "mash-up" of both Quantal and Raring packages because some things are not yet available in Raring

BTW I'm sure that others will prefer Xubuntu/Xfce and that's just fine.
    I'm running Mate on Raring and it works well. I always liked the Gnome 2 desktop and for me this is the best alternative. The clearlooks-phenix-theme from the repositories works well with both GTK 2 and 3.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by A_T View Post
    I'm running Mate on Raring and it works well. I always liked the Gnome 2 desktop and for me this is the best alternative. The clearlooks-phenix-theme from the repositories works well with both GTK 2 and 3.
    Did you just use the Quantal version of MATE?

I've tested the MATE version of Snowlinux and it's pretty impressive but I rather prefer "rolling my own"

Beans

Did you just use the Quantal version of MATE?

I've tested the MATE version of Snowlinux and it's pretty impressive but I rather prefer "rolling my own"
    yes I add the following line to my sources.list

Code:
    deb http://packages.mate-desktop.org/repo/ubuntu quantal main
    I haven't had any problems so far.

I think I'm a bit like you I prefer to build my own Ubuntu or Debian rather than use something like Snowlinux - although I'm sure there's nothing wrong with it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have used Lubuntu as a sort of gnome replacement by adding Libre replacing chromium with firetox (chromium can't handle my bookmarks nearly as well as firefox)

Then I sit with leafpad I prefer gedit, pcmanfm I prefer nautilus, abi whatever which don't do what I want to do, ....

The other thing I've done is install lxde on top of ubuntu which has been a real struggle since during development logoff/logon to lxde frequently doesn't work.

So I test raring unity, then for a gnome like get the work done use linux mint 14 usually mate I'm not so sure about cinnamon.

Now I have 7" and 10.1" tablets with Android. Unity at it's present stage with faster processors and equal or more memory just doesn't cut it, for what I'm able to do with Android. linux is still more general purpose for me.

Beans

I keep figuring out more and more little things. Like copy-n-paste always seemed to be a bit of a kludge in Lubuntu (or even Xubuntu) and come to find out it has a lot to do with the default double-click mouse settings.

I plowed through Ubuntu's dconf and found that the default is 400 ms, whereas Lubuntu is 200 ms, and Xubuntu is 250 ms. It's amazing just how much difference a minor tweak like that effects overall performance and usability

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

I keep figuring out more and more little things. Like copy-n-paste always seemed to be a bit of a kludge in Lubuntu (or even Xubuntu) and come to find out it has a lot to do with the default double-click mouse settings.

I plowed through Ubuntu's dconf and found that the default is 400 ms, whereas Lubuntu is 200 ms, and Xubuntu is 250 ms. It's amazing just how much difference a minor tweak like that effects overall performance and usability

Hawkeye!

Beans

The biggest annoyance for me in LXDE was always the menu. About half my programs would end up in "Other", even when they legitimately belonged in another category. It didn't look like there were any improvements to the menu in the pipeline, but I notice your menu doesn't have an "other" category. Is this fixed now or did you manually customize the menu?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    The biggest annoyance for me in LXDE was always the menu. About half my programs would end up in "Other", even when they legitimately belonged in another category. It didn't look like there were any improvements to the menu in the pipeline, but I notice your menu doesn't have an "other" category. Is this fixed now or did you manually customize the menu?
    I've started playing with LXMenuEditor:

http://lxmed.sourceforge.net/index.html

But I keep blowing things up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    Hi,

I have never seen "other" on Lubuntu since 10.04 until now. Are we talking about LXDE or Lubuntu?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast