Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inconsistent Data Read & Memory Issue after Installation

Beans

Inconsistent Data Read & Memory Issue after Installation

Hello Ubuntu Community,

I'm quite new to Linux (some very limited experience with openSUSE several years ago) but since I'm really tired of Windows, I feel the time to switch over to Linux has come.

I have installed 12.10 yesterday, and have some issues for which I'd like to ask advice.

Okay, first of all a short description of my box, and of what I've done so far:
    BIOS: Intel MQ96510J.86A.1754.2008.1117.0002
    Mainboard: Intel DQ963FX with Graphics Chipset Q965/Q963
    CPU: Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz
    PCI Graphics Card: ZOTAC GeForce GT430
    Sound: onboard (Windows uses NVIDIA High Definition Audio from graphics card install)
    Wired Networking Adapter: Intel 82566DC Gigabit Network Connection
    Wireless Networking: none
    Optical Drive: LG DVD burner, model GH24NS90 (ATA Device)
    HDD1 (sda): Samsung HD502HJ
    HDD2 (sdb): Samsung HD320KJ

Windows 7 is installed on sda1-3.

I have installed Ubuntu on sdb as follows (I used Unetbootin with mini.iso, since 12.10-desktop.iso doesn't permit use of the LVM):
    sdb1: Bootable - ext4 - /boot
    sdb5: Volume Group, consisting of / + /home + /tmp + /usr + /var (all ext4) + 2x swap.
    Since Windows always acts up if it isn't installed on the first HDD in row, and since Windows updates tend to overwrite the MBR, I have placed GRUB on sdb1 but use the Windows boot manager (edited with EasyBCD).

When booting the system and choosing Ubuntu, I am greeted by the following:
    Initialize variable space ...
    Starting cmain() ...
    Fatal! Inconsistent data read from (0x90)0+32
    Fatal! Inconsistent data read from (0x90)16+1
    This repeats 4 times, so that, all in all, I have 10 lines of the above.
    (hd1,0)
    [Multiboot-kludge, loadaddr=0x100000, text-and-data=0x6739, bss=0x0, entry=0x100968]

Then GRUB starts, with several options.
    If I choose 'Memory test (memtest86+)' or 'Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)' I get the following:
    error: too small lower memory (0x99100 > 0x8f000).

Choosing 'Ubuntu' or 'Ubuntu with advanced Options' boots the system, i.e. I get to the log-on screen and can use Ubuntu.

I recall that, during partitioning, fourth console (L-Alt+F4) once or twice issued a warning, but said something along the lines of 'proceeding with formatting as requested'.

/etc/fstab looks like this:
    /dev/mapper/PALA-root / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # /boot was on /dev/sdb1 during installation
    UUID=34dd0e98-3248-429d-92db-2eecad9f6a4b /boot ext4 defaults $
    /dev/mapper/PALA-home /home ext4 defaults 0 2
    /dev/mapper/PALA-temp /tmp ext4 defaults 0 2
    /dev/mapper/PALA-users /usr ext4 defaults 0 2
    /dev/mapper/PALA-variable /var ext4 defaults 0 2
    /dev/mapper/PALA-swap_1 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/mapper/PALA-swap_2 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

I suspect Ubuntu doesn't really appreciate use of the LVM on desktop systems.

In addition, I had some problems with my graphics card (GPU lock after a few seconds of desktop operation) which I could solve by setting GRUB to 'nomodeset' and apt-getting the proper NVIDIA drivers.

I have no sound on Skype, but 'Audacious' Music Player works (minor issue which I'll figure out); I just mentioned it to make a complete report..

I'd be most grateful for help regarding the 'fatal error' and 'memory error' issues, which must be eliminated.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers,
    SL
    Last edited by SuperLoser; January 1st, 2013 at 01:31 AM. Reason: typo correction

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Inconsistent Data Read & Memory Issue after Installation

/etc/fstab looks like this:
    /dev/mapper/PALA-root / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1 <-----!!!
    # /boot was on /dev/sdb1 during installation
    UUID=34dd0e98-3248-429d-92db-2eecad9f6a4b /boot ext4 defaults $
    /dev/mapper/PALA-home /home ext4 defaults 0 2
    /dev/mapper/PALA-temp /tmp ext4 defaults 0 2
    /dev/mapper/PALA-users /usr ext4 defaults 0 2
    /dev/mapper/PALA-variable /var ext4 defaults 0 2
    /dev/mapper/PALA-swap_1 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/mapper/PALA-swap_2 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
    I suspect that you are trying to install to a drive currently marked in the metadata area as part of a fakeRAID set. If it is actually a RAID set writing to one of the two drives will break the set. If you are not using the two drives as RAID then you need to erase the meta data from both drives to restore them as independent drives. Once we know the particulars of your situation we can advise you on how to proceed.
    12.10 Quantal w/grub2/Mint13 installed on raid0, Gigabyte AMD MB, AMD 64x4 CPUs at 3.2GHz, 16 GB ram, HD7770 ATI video, dual boot win7 on 64gb ssd and win8 on 1Tb SATA raid. 13.04 installed on raid0 and ssd

Beans

Hi ronparent,

thanks for the response.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no RAID (fake or actual) set up on my box.
    I have never used a RAID setup on any comp yet.

I have backed up and reinstalled Windows a few days ago, to dedicate separate drives to the two OSs.
    In the course of this, both HDDs have been totally wiped clean and reformatted (quick format using Windows Explorer) repeatedly.

I have also used W7's Disk Manager to ensure that the HDD dedicated for Ubuntu consisted of 320.1GB unallocated space by creating a single, primary NTFS partition on it and then deleting that partition again.
    Shouldn't all metadata have been wiped by this?

I've just spent an hour and a half STFW for a way to read metadata off a hard disk ... the only thing I've found (and that is of questionable value, too, IMHO) is this: http://blog.fpmurphy.com/2010/05/har...-metadata.html

Which particulars do you require?

Cheers,
    SL

Beans
    Distro

The RAID metadata is written to special sector on each separate disk used in a RAID set and will remain persistent until erased. To do this is simple. Boot to a live cd/dvd and in a terminal install dmraid:

sudo apt-get install dmraid
    I'm rusty but as I recall you then use dmraid to erase the metadata on each drive:

sudo dmraid dmraid -rE /dev/sda
    Repeat for sdb. Let us know if this workeed.
    12.10 Quantal w/grub2/Mint13 installed on raid0, Gigabyte AMD MB, AMD 64x4 CPUs at 3.2GHz, 16 GB ram, HD7770 ATI video, dual boot win7 on 64gb ssd and win8 on 1Tb SATA raid. 13.04 installed on raid0 and ssd

Beans

Okay, I've seen a reference to dmraid during my earlier search.
    Will try as you've advised ... but only tomorrow morning.
    It's nearly 2am here, and I've had a long day, hehe.

I'll read up on it again before actually applying dmraid; I have to be absolutely sure that nothing else on the Windows disk is being affected.
    I have backups, but I earn my living online, so a data loss or some other mess-up on the Windows disk would suck really hard.

Thanks for the advice; I'll report tomorrow how it went.

Cheers,
    SL

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Is there some reason you want the extra system partitions? That is often used by servers, but not really needed for Desktops.

Herman on advantages/disadvantages of separate system partitions post#3
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1410392

And why LVM? Because you have the extra partitions, and may need to resize them?
    Advantages/Disadvantages LVM Post #9
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1586328

And if dual booting with Windows I suggest a separate NTFS data partition, so you do not write into the Windows system partition. You can then set Windows system as read only to avoid accidents as the Linux NTFS driver exposes all the hidden files & folders in Windows that it like to hide.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Hi oldfred,

thanks for the links ... some interesting thoughts on those threads.

I have two reasons for wanting to use LVM:
    1.) Sooner or later I'll switch over to a server setup, so that I won't have to use third party webhosting services anymore. So setting up my PC 'server-style' is practising and getting used to the setup.
    2.) VG setups are so much more flexible; LVs can be resized with a few clicks / commands.

I have initially set up a rather small Logical Partition (60GB) for the VG, which left me with about 260GB unallocated, which I can incorporate into the setup at any time, according to disk space needed.

This HOWTO is quite interesting: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/benefitsoflvmsmall.html

I know Ubuntu doesn't really provide for usage of the LVM on desktop systems ... the ubuntu-12.10-desktop.iso doesn't even offer its use at all ... which is why I've used the mini.iso for a netinstall.

In regard of having an extra NTFS partition: there is no real need for that; the first thing I do on every Windows system I set up is showing hidden files and file extensions of known file types ... so I'm used to being careful about accidentally messing with system and config files.

Do you think the 'fatal error' and 'memory error' may have been caused by using LVM?

Cheers,
    SL

Beans

Okay, I've booted live with ubuntu-12.10-desktop-i386.iso and ran dmraid:

ubuntu@ubuntu: ~$ sudo dmraid -r
    no raid disks
    ubuntu@ubuntu: ~$ sudo dmraid -rE /dev/sdb
    no raid disks and with names: "/dev/sdb"
    ubuntu@ubuntu: ~$ sudo dmraid -rE /dev/sda
    no raid disks and with names: "/dev/sda"
    ubuntu@ubuntu: ~$
    So there really were no RAID settings of any sort on either disk.

By the way, I'd tried to install Debian 6.0.6 prior to Ubuntu; the installer either kept freezing while formatting partitions or gave the following error message, after formatting:
    The attempt to mount a file system with type ext4 in SCSI4 (0,0,0), partition #1 (sdb) at /boot failed.
    (I tried with ext4/3/2, with the same result, sometimes varying to ... partition #5 (sdb) at / .)

The /etc/fstab I posted in the OP reports a problem mounting '/ ' as well.
    I'll now have a look at sdb, checking surface et cetera, so determine whether there is a mechanical problem with the drive.
    Will report findings here.

SL

Edit / P.S.: Surface Test with Partition Wizard 4.2.2 resulted in no errors (at least on the 298.09GB visible to Windows). The disk appears to have no mechanical issues.
    Last edited by SuperLoser; December 30th, 2012 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Adding results of Disk Surface Test

Beans
    Distro

Have you tried turning off the raid option in bios?

Beans

My BIOS doesn't offer any RAID settings.

S.M.A.R.T. is enabled, but that surely should have no impact on anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast