Thread: GUFW problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

GUFW problems

I have a System76 Lemur Ultra Thin (lemu4) notebook PC and I am using Ubuntu 12.04.1 64 bit Long Term Service. I installed GUFW version 12.04.1 for Ubuntu and I use it to manage my complex list of firewall rules. Every time I switch on the firewall and I modify it, I lose access to the Internet. Every time I switch off the firewall, I regain access to the Internet. I have to reboot my System76 PC to let the new changes to my firewall rules list take into effect so that I can regain Internet access again.

Why is this happening?

How do I fix this problem so that I can make modifications to my firewall rules list using GUFW and I don't have to reboot my System76 PC?

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: GUFW problems

Quote Originally Posted by Welly Wu View Post
    I have a System76 Lemur Ultra Thin (lemu4) notebook PC and I am using Ubuntu 12.04.1 64 bit Long Term Service. I installed GUFW version 12.04.1 for Ubuntu and I use it to manage my complex list of firewall rules. Every time I switch on the firewall and I modify it, I lose access to the Internet. Every time I switch off the firewall, I regain access to the Internet. I have to reboot my System76 PC to let the new changes to my firewall rules list take into effect so that I can regain Internet access again.

Why is this happening?

How do I fix this problem so that I can make modifications to my firewall rules list using GUFW and I don't have to reboot my System76 PC?

Thank you.
    hi
    i haven't to much experince with firewalls but i think i makes sense (for me) that the internet is switched off during modifications. my first experience with FW was when i set up raptor-FW on in my company - this was in1994 ( i think i set up the loging to high) that after 1 hour i got a couple of
    warnings ... in the logfile. the internet is fast and of bad people are on-net - just lookign for a new address.
    cheers
    "What is the robbing of a bank compared to the FOUNDING of a bank?" Berthold Brecht