Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amazon Instant Video

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Amazon Instant Video

When trying to stream a movie with Amazon Instant Video, I am given an error message saying that my Flash player is unsupported (using Chrome browser 23.0.1271.97). It claims that I must either disable PPAPI or use a different browser.

So I tried using Firefox (17.0.1) with the Adobe Flash plugin (11.2.202.258ubuntu0.12.04.1) from the Software Centre only to get an error message that says that either my browser or Flash player needs to be updated.

I'm using the latest version of the aforementioned software. I don't know what PPAPI is but I assume it's Chrome's Flash plugin.
    Last edited by caffeinatedev; December 29th, 2012 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Details

Beans
    Distro

Re: Amazon Instant Video

I now realize that there are related threads on this topic but I want to post my solution anyway to save everyone else the trouble of searching all over the interwebz.

I found the problem to be that Amazon video streaming only works with Flash 11.2 and Chrome currently uses Flash 11.5. So I ran
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install hal
    in the terminal and restarted Firefox. Streaming is working now but just in Firefox, it would be cool if someone could figure a way to get streaming working in Chrome.

Beans
    Hidden!

I can watch in chrome browser. Right click also shows flash 11.2

You can select somewhere in chrome between pepper 11.5 and adobe flash 11.2
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

In Chrome, type
    Code:
    about:plugins
    in the address bar and disable Pepper (Flash 11.5).
    Last edited by caffeinatedev; January 3rd, 2013 at 11:46 PM. Reason: grammar

Beans

Hey All

Followed caffeinatedev's advice and got the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL). Now streaming Amazon.com instant videos in both Firefox & Chrome. Both browsers latest. Platform: 12.04 on Lenovo T400.

Thanks caffeinatedev

Beans
    Distro

Anytime. If I saved you as much trouble as I hope I did then it was worth it.

Beans

As of yesterday, Amazon requires a flash version newer than 11.2. Adobe says that 11.2 is the last supported version for Linux. Chrome uses 11.7, which I assume they are supporting themselves, but it has the DRM removed, so you can't use it (there are no other flash options in the latest version of chrome). Using firefox in wine works fine. The flash version there is also 11.7, but it is the windows supported version. As far as I can tell, firefox in wine is the only way you will be able to watch Amazon Instant on Linux. If anyone has an alternative, I would love to hear about it.

BTW, I already have HAL installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thanks, sbrenneis. I've been pretty frustrated the last 48 hours and wasn't sure whether this was a flash issue or a firefox issue. Windows in WINE it is. Great that there's a solution somewhere.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

For viewers in the UK installing hal is the only way you can watch 4OD.
    One poster suggested that when 4OD detects a Linux system it should display a message telling you to install hal.
    That would have saved me some hours of searching.

Beans

I have installed hal, Amazon still does not work for me in Firefox. In Chrome I get the message to disable PPAPI. I have been trying for three days to get this to run, and to get Secnd Life to run; in both instances I have installed multiple versions, installed wine, installed nearly everything everyone has suggested and what worked for them and still nothing. I feel stuck because since installing over Windows 8, I have no other OS to use any more AND I can no longer boot from a CD--even though I have my bios set to legacy mode so that I can boot froma CD, I can't any more. I can't do anything with ubuntu expect post to facebook and use netflix. It's maddening. Why on Earth did I do this to myself?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast