Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which is more secure: The iPhone or Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: Which is more secure: the iPhone or Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Daisy View Post
    What does the bit in bold mean?

Never do anything personal or important over a wifi network you don't trust. You can do a bit better if you can tunnel out of the public wifi to your own server at home or a VPN and do your browsing through that tunnel. Barring that, at the very least you should have strong inbound and outbound firewall rules on your PC (and I wouldn't do financial transaction online).

If you think there are compromised systems on the same network as you, then get them cleaned up if they're yours. I can't imagine a scenario where it would be OK to allow compromised systems to co-exist with my system on the same network. If they're not yours then I personally would stick with 3g.
    Well I am currently using my extended families wireless network, and I am 99% sure their computers are compromised. And they won't let me fix it because they don't trust me for some reason lol.

And since the wifi is compromised I am afraid to connect my iPhone to the wifi so I can't upgrade my iOS 5 to iOS 6, do you think that posses any security risks?

And can you get malware from text messages? I only use my iPhone for calls, texts, facebook, email and banking.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aligator12 View Post
    And can you get malware from text messages? I only use my iPhone for calls, texts, facebook, email and banking.
    Yes if the text message has a link in it that's malicious. I think we've all gotten the spamtext message that we have won $10,000 and just need to call some number/click here to claim it. Obvious but worth stating: don't call, don't click, you didn't win.

Remember that your bank shouldn't email you links, so if you receive them they're probably spam/malicious.

I would recommend looking carefully at the apps you install in Facebook. A lot of them are spammy and want access to your contacts, and on the phone your Facebook contacts get weirdly merged with your phone contacts. All of those stupid surveys ("which is the best boy band?") are apps. I can't come up with a legitimate reason for a survey app to need access to your contacts, but if it wants it then I assume it's going to do something shady with it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    I have never had issues, however I know some have, everyones mileage varies.

it is best practice really

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ro...Graphical_sudo

Due to files in your /home becoming owned by root
    It has happened to me. It's a real PITA to fix, too. gksudo is SOOOOOOO much easier.

Edit: not so much a pita to fix as it is to diagnose. You just find yourself locked out of /home.
    Last edited by Ms. Daisy; December 30th, 2012 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Derp

Beans

thanks.. sure.. would use gksudo instead

Beans

{snip}
    I would recommend looking carefully at the apps you install in Facebook.{snip}
    you might take a close look at fb itself
    then you take the battery out* of your "smart phone" before you toss it in the Herbie and get you a plain flip phone that has only txt and phone; no "apps" .

Note: I'm a privacy advocate . I think too much "data mining" is going on without our knowledge or permission .
    ~~
    * uh-oh I just remembered the battery is glued into some of these phones oh well, wrap it in tin-foil it'll go dead after a while .
    Last edited by mike acker; December 30th, 2012 at 12:51 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Note: I'm a privacy advocate . I think too much "data mining" is going on without our knowledge or permission.
    I agree with you, not sure we can do much about it though.

Beans

Yes if the text message has a link in it that's malicious. I think we've all gotten the spamtext message that we have won $10,000 and just need to call some number/click here to claim it. Obvious but worth stating: don't call, don't click, you didn't win.
    Sorry about the long reply time lol. I never ever follow links, but my iphone automatically opens spam text messages, there is no way to infect me that way is there?

Beans

Re: Which is more secure: The iPhone or Ubuntu?

bump

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by aligator12 View Post
    bump
    No, and you're being paranoid.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NCLI View Post
    No, and you're being paranoid.
    I am glad you think that lol. But none of you guys think using an older obsolete iOS (iOS 5) is a bad security idea?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast