Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mageia

Beans

Mageia

Mageia users Mageia Greek for Magicanyways can any of you Mageia users list the.
    Pro.s
    Con,s
    from what i read sounds like a excellent system,but i would like to know from people who tried it, if its what they say it is and worth the install time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Mageia

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlinzzz View Post
    Mageia... from what i read sounds like a excellent system...
    Long story short:

Mageia is an excellent take control by the community project, focused on a RPM based KDE Linux distro. Some even put forth that it is a most excellent KDE distro - but you may have to take that up with the openSUSE folks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Coming from Ubuntu and Windows, Pros: Synaptic is available, good control of desktop setup, wizards written to perform many system tasks. Usually well tested and more stable than non-LTS Ubuntus.

Cons: No PPAs, some applications have older versions, more limited selection of applications than Ubuntu (no Netflix). Navigation of repositories can be confusing to new users.

Beans

Thanks for the info.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

The Mageia Control Centre is one of the best features, and it's quite fast and stable. Once you get the repos setup it's a breeze to use, so long as the repos have all the software you need.

trinux_bc

Beans

Mageia really is quite nice, especially in its KDE guise. Some may recall when Mandrake/Mandriva was a high quality, easy to use OS, and Mageia is the rightful heir to that legacy. Probably the most newcomer-friendly distro outside the 'buntu family, though a case could be made for PCLinuxOS, which has (or had) Mandriva roots as well.

Beans

Hi all!

I've tried several distros before Mint, Ubuntu, openSuse, PC Linux, etc. (most popular distros) but i think Mageia is best of all. Easy to use, stable, fast, KDE GUI (i like it) and the Control Center is very simple, useful for beginner users. It have many great apps. So it's simple great

Beans

Mageia is very promising, it needs a tad more work but its got a lot of great packages and developers.
    I just wish it was easier to install codecs, there are no metapackages to install a base system of codecs like what both openSUSE and ubuntu offer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Biggest problem I had so far is that I cannot dual boot with it. On initial setup you have to tell it where to get updates and programs from, it defaults to the install medium.Runs good on an old dual core with 2 gigs memory and G-force 6200.

Beans

@claudecat: PCLOS had Mandrake/Mandriva roots. They're now an independent rolling release distro but can be really conservative (eg, still using grub legacy, which raises significant issues if you're using grub2, kernel 3.2, synaptic for RPM 0.57, Xorg 1.10). It really is the only distro I've ever used much that's outside of the Ubuntu/Mint family, and it was my first, so I'd definitely agree it's pretty easy on a newcomer. I'll probably try Mageia 3 when it's released, though. In spite of my love for openbox, there are times when I like to have some KDE on hand.
    When you make laws to control foolish others, you forge the chains that will be used to control you.
    My blog
    my pre-blog website

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast