Thread: touch screen for ubuntu

Beans

touch screen for ubuntu

i;m not a fan of the new touch screen laptops/desktops. i'm happy with keyboards and mice myself. touchscreens are for tablets and phones. does ubuntu have any plans of going to touchscreen functions for this new laptop and desktop hardware?

Beans

Re: touch screen for ubuntu

Generally, yes.
    One goal of the Unity project is a single interface for desktops, touchscreens, phones, and more.

However, one implication of your (rather vague) question is migrating to a touchscreen-only interface, deprecating mice and keyboards.
    That, of course, is NOT Unity's intent.
    Last edited by Cheesehead; December 28th, 2012 at 06:23 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
    Generally, yes.
    One goal of the Unity project is a single interface for desktops, touchscreens, phones, and more.

However, one implication of your (rather vague) question is migrating to a touchscreen-only interface, deprecating mice and keyboards.
    That, of course, is NOT Unity's intent.
    similar to the win8 setup?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have a Asus Transformer running Android 4.1.1 which I like but I would love to see Ubuntu with Unity running on it. One thing that is nice with the transformer is the Tablet that snaps into the keyboard. I use it with a keyboard and mouse just like a laptop and when I take the tablet out of the keyboard I use it like a tablet. This is a great little unit.
    The keyboard has a battery also, so with the two batteries I get about 15 hours use before I need to recharge them. It only take a few hours to charge and I am back running again. You can use it while it charges but it take longer to charge.
    I also have a pen that I use to take hand written notes.
    I find I like using my laptop with Ubuntu more then the transformer because of Ubuntu and Unity, so that why I say I would love to see it on the transformer.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by skjones View Post
    i;m not a fan of the new touch screen laptops/desktops. i'm happy with keyboards and mice myself. touchscreens are for tablets and phones. does ubuntu have any plans of going to touchscreen functions for this new laptop and desktop hardware?
    Yes, adding a further input medium is good for Ubuntu and will ensure Ubuntu continues it's evolution to a modern OS.
    This account is not active.

Beans

You understand touchscreen does not mean you have too use touchscreen right?

Windows 8 and Android are perfectly fine with mouse and keyboard. The people I know who regularly use Windows 8 barely use touch screen. In 4-5 months of using a mouse and keyboard with Android, I don't reach across and swipe the screen with my finger if I have a mouse in my hand.

Having a touch screen capability isnt going too remove the mouse and keyboard from your hands.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

grahammechanical thanks for the links. Some good info.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.