Thread: Powermac G5 - FX5200 - Rendering Problems

Beans

Exclamation Powermac G5 - FX5200 - Rendering Problems

Good evening community

I own a PowerMac G5 with a 2 Ghz PPC Dualcore and a Gefore FX5200 Ultra (64mb).
    Since i was using 10.5.8 (ewwhh) i decided to install 12.04 on it.
    But i have some strange rendering issues (in firefox some lines of text dont get rendered & some gui elemtns are just blank).
    Since im quite a newbie when it comes to Linux i am kinda lost.
    I tried to check the Driver with the "Additional Drivers" Tool but it crashes (Jockey causes the problem, i dont know what that is..)
    This person gets the same output when using jockey-text -> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1978951

What do i need to do in order to get all of the stuff rendered properly?

Thank you so much for your help in advance!
    -Ozzi

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Powermac G5 - FX5200 - Rendering Problems

Long shot, but maybe just try nouveau?

Install this ppa and then do:

Code:
    aptitude update
    aptitude -s full-upgrade
    aptitude -s install xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
    But before that, make sure you delete the nvidia proprietary driver or disable it properly.

Especially using the latest git of nouveau helps, I have seen a lot of fixes for foreign machines go in these days.

Beans

Hi Rexilion

I deinstalled the nvidia drivers the following:
    Code:
    apt-get purge nvidia-*

But i am not sure if that really worked..
    Then i installed the PPA, installed aptitude then executed the commands you posted.
    The result of:
    Code:
    aptitude -s install xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

Was that there werent any packages installed, updated or removed.

So are the nouveau drivers already installed?
    I dont know what i am doing

Beans

if it helps, ubuntu 12.04 for ppc looks even weirder.
    yellow dog 6.2 works perfectly..

ideas?

Beans

desperate bump for help

Beans
    Hidden!

If you install a PPA or do any other modification to your 'lists' then you must do:

aptitude update
    In order to get the new information of packages inside aptitude's package database.
    linux-git/fs/super.c: "Self-destruct in 5 seconds. Have a nice day...\n",

Beans

I don't know if this helps, I am equally a complete newbie.

Looking at the man page for aptitude, the instructions Rexilion gave you, followed to the letter, appear to only result in a "simulation" of what aptitude would do, owing to the -s switch.

I was having what sounded like the same rendering issues and running Rexilion's code without the -s switches has partially cleared it up. Now text does not disappear and reappear after scrolling up and down in Firefox and other programs. However, I don't know whether this was to do with nouveau or with the firefox update.

There is still a strip of constant width at the bottom of the Firefox window in which text is never rendered. I don't know what is causing this - any help would be appreciated! (Precise 12.04 on 2003 G4 Powerbook 12", Firefox 17)

Cheers

James

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by lucky_waster View Post
    I don't know if this helps, I am equally a complete newbie.

Looking at the man page for aptitude, the instructions Rexilion gave you, followed to the letter, appear to only result in a "simulation" of what aptitude would do, owing to the -s switch.

I was having what sounded like the same rendering issues and running Rexilion's code without the -s switches has partially cleared it up. Now text does not disappear and reappear after scrolling up and down in Firefox and other programs. However, I don't know whether this was to do with nouveau or with the firefox update.

There is still a strip of constant width at the bottom of the Firefox window in which text is never rendered. I don't know what is causing this - any help would be appreciated! (Precise 12.04 on 2003 G4 Powerbook 12", Firefox 17)

Cheers

James
    You are right, I should have made the use of the '-s' switch somewhat more informative for other readers. Thanks for mentioning.

As for the corruption with Firefox, that is highly likely a (nouveau) video driver issue.

Maybe check the bugzilla @ freedesktop.org?
    linux-git/fs/super.c: "Self-destruct in 5 seconds. Have a nice day...\n",

Beans

I was having exactly identical problems in Lubuntu 12.04 on an old compaq/hp laptop, a Presario B1013. A bit of a pain since firefox was unusable so I was stuck with chrome. It just happens I really like firefox, and I really hate chrome...

Anyway, I went to check and nvidia's proprietary driver was not in use. Enabling the proprietary driver fixed the problem and resulted in improved display overall =D>
    Last edited by olandesevolante; December 29th, 2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: added os version and computer model