Thread: Best Window Manager for Audio Server

Beans

Best Window Manager for Audio Server

This year, I have been trying to move completely away from Microsoft and into Linux. I have been experimenting with various flavors of Ubuntu, including Unity, GNOME Classic, Mint, Peppermint, xfce, lxde, and Bodhi. For most of my needs, lxde and Bodhi work very well.

The last area to rid myself of Microsoft is in my audio server (old desktop PC), which I still run on XP. I use Remmina to remote into the XP machine, to do all my ripping, encoding, tagginng, mp3gaining, library creation, and playing. After dabbling in various Linux tools to do all these tasks, I think I am ready to set up a Linux box (another old desktop PC) to replace the XP box.

I realize that I still have a lot to learn about Linux audio, including PulseAudio, GStreamer, ASLA, and on and on. But I want to set something up to start experimenting with all this. I'm trying to decide which flavor of Ubuntu to use in my first attempt.

Can more-experienced music enthusiasts suggest whether lxde, Bodhi, Peppermint, or whatever would offer advantages in setting up a machine for preparing and playing music? I'm not knowledgeable enough yet to know if, for example, the e17 environment creates advantages or disadvantages in setting up a box for music. Perhaps it doesn't matter at all, which would be just fine. I thought I'd ask, before investing a lot of time.

I'm not looking for a distro that already contains lots of audio apps. I will hand pick the apps myself, and install them. I am more concerned with the desktop environment itself, and how well it lends itself to manipulating Linux audio.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Best Window Manager for Audio Server

I'm not looking for a distro that already contains lots of audio apps. I will hand pick the apps myself, and install them. I am more concerned with the desktop environment itself, and how well it lends itself to manipulating Linux audio.
    Then Bodhi should do all you want and has the bonus of not installing pulseaudio by default. (if you want to play hi-res then pulse is not reccommended.)

sites you may have seen that have been useful to me...
    http://www.computeraudiophile.com/forum/
    https://sites.google.com/site/computeraudioorg/
    http://linux.voyage.hk/voyage-mpd

Most 'audio' distros lean towards music creation rather than audiophile performance. Most desktop environments include pulse.
    Bodhi seems refreshingly free of both and if you are familiar with it then configure for your needs.

After trying several distros and desktops I find Bodhi to be more than adequate.

Beans

Re: Best Window Manager for Audio Server

Many thanks, RS. I am currently running Bodhi, and am so far pleased with the e17 window manager. I am glad to hear that it works well for you and that you feel it can be the basis for my music server.

I have been reading (whenever I have time) about Linux audio, and still feel a bit intimidated by the seeming complexity of the the chain from digital file to sound card. I have seen various diagrams of how the signal is processed through GStreamer, PulseAudio, and ALSA. No two diagrams/explanations are alike. Not only that, some people praise PulseAudio to the heavens, others try to avoid it. I guess I have a lot to learn.

Despite all that, I have not studied the sites to which you provided links. So I will dive into those this afternoon and see what I can discover.

Again, thanks for sharing your experience and your resources.