Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: looking for a new wireless router (maybe)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: looking for a new wireless router (maybe)

I have been following this thread, and have been learning a few things, but it still leaves me with a few questions.
    Looking at the ping readings, I would think that Internet speeds would have a real bearing on your reading on the ping test. I know you are just looking for a different reading from plugin to unplugged. Just for the record this was my reading, but I have a very fast Internet.
    Plugged in 16.2 - 13.3 ms
    Unplugged 14.5 - 13.5 ms
    I would think if your wifi card is working properly you would not see a much of a difference in the reading no matter what Internet connection you are on.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans

yes, it's a huge difference (ping speed) on mine and lost packets, which should never happen.

The actual download speed is not much slower even unplugged IF it works at all! The lost packets and slow ping speed render the internet almost useless. We really noticed it trying to video chat (online gaming would also be very effected, if your into that - I am not)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

See how this works. Go to this Site and do a speed test plugged an unplugged, and see what the difference is.
    Here is mine.
    Speed Test Plugged In.png Speed Test Unplugged.png
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've had a couple more thoughts

1. This is a new machine. Have you talked to system76?

2. Is there a way to disable power management when on battery just for a test? If the wifi card works well when plugged in but doesn't work when on battery, it seems the only thing changing is the machine's power management or the wifi card's power management.

Beans

You might have an issue with acpi messing with your wireless. Wait a moment while I try to find the command to disable that.

Edit: Couldn't find.
    Still, I remember some people having a problem with this a while back. I had it, too. The acpi workaround helped. I'm too lazy to search through any man pages, though...
    Last edited by IWantFroyo; December 29th, 2012 at 12:28 AM.

Beans

I think that you may have some power-save setting that sometimes
    causes your wireless to nod off when running on battery. If so,
    then it seems unlikely that a new router will do you any good.

I would suggest that you take your laptop to some place that
    provides wi-fi access & try it on their router.

Beans

I could have sworn I posted dl speeds and that I was away for the last few days. Anyhow, in another thread

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    If you're having problems, then it's likely a fail(ed|ing) card. Go ahead and open a support ticket, and we can get a new card out to you.
    And I did call them right away (System76) The guy on the phone said to do a few tests on other networks, so I did. I had the same ping speed slow down problem - where no one else who posted results did.

I will be opening a support ticket with System76.

Thanks for everyone's help. I guess I won't be getting a "cool" new router. . . not that I could afford one anyway.

Once I get a new card put in I will post the results.

Beans

Exclamation Re: looking for a new wireless router (maybe)

Well this was extreamly disapointing - System76 wants me to pay $75.13 to have a "$36.00" part sent to me, and if I don't ship the old one back to them in 14 days they will charge me the $36.00 for it.

After about 2 minutes of Google -> Amazon -> shopping cart I found the exact same card shipped to me for less then $12.00!

I am already sorry I ever did business with System76, and only after 2 weeks with the new laptop.

Sytem76, I won't make that mistake again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I hope you have let them know how you feel about all this. Disappointing story.

Beans

I did. Told them in the support thread I was disapointed and they can keep their card.

Now that I am needing to order a new card - do I "upgrade" or just stay the same. Some more quick searching came up with the Intel Centrino Ultimate N 6300 and it is listed as in use in other certified Ubuntu systems.

BUT it has connections for 3 antennas, the 1030 in the Laptop now only has 2 antennas. Can I use just 2 of the 3? Will it reduce any advantage the card may have had?

Maybe I should just replace it at the $12.00 cost. Suggestions?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast