the kernel architecture depends on system architecture. So if you have 64bit Ubuntu the equivalent kernel should installed.
As for the kernel downgrade , yes you can install 3.2.X-xx kernel from Precise , but I tend to agree with Pjotr123 , that would be better if you do a fresh install of 12.04 LTS.
Kernels usually patched and examined for specific versions. Kernel 3.2 have been examined and tested for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS and not 12.10.
Recently Kernel 3.5.X-xx examined and tested and backported to 12.04.1 LTS . Patched properly for 12.04 LTS and now is available for anyone who wants to install it. The only thing must run is $ sudo apt-get install linux-image-generic-lts-quantal , from a terminal.
What (in general) means a newer kernel.
New features , new security updates , new modules , better hardware support , but can also means new bugs..
So if you want to test how the kernel 3.2 acts to your system , install it and see.
But better would be an installation of 12.04 LTS
And one of them is over 1200 Miles away (Thank God for TemViewer).
That is what I like about ClamTk it doesn't run in the background using up system resources it is a on-demand Virus Scanner.
I address Windows support requests with the following line, which proved to be both polite and effective: "As I've been a full-time Linux user for years, my Windows knowledge has faded and become outdated. So you better seek your Windows assistance elsewhere. However, I'd be glad to help you if you want to install Linux on your computer!"
That takes care of 95 % of the Windows help requests I get. The remaining 5 % wants to give Linux a try....
I have a number of spare hard disk drives at my disposal. I installed Ubuntu on one of them. If I mess things up on it, I will just have to reformat and reinstall it. Well, to be honest, I have reinstalled it at least 5 times, so I am quite familiar with the instalation routines.
In your case, the benefit of running a minimal Ubuntu virtual machine inside of your regular installation is that you get the benefit of the GUI outside of the virtual machine window for all of your day-to-day activities, but anything that you do inside the virtual machine forces you to use command line only. So, for example, you can follow instructions on a web browser outside the virtual machine and then type those instructions into your Linux session inside the virtual machine. If you, say, inadvertently delete all of your system files, it isn't a disaster because you've deleted only the virtual installation; not your real one. You may already know all of this, in which case, apologies for going on for so long.
If you aren't the file owner, you need to add sudo before the command eg:Code:cp somefile.conf somefile.conf.bak
Code:sudo cp /etc/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf.bak
I switched from Windows to Linux only about three months ago.
Plus I still have a Windows 7 HTPC that I am currently using.
I might switch it over to Ubuntu also when the final of XBMC 12 is released.
I have been trying to get some of my friends to switch to Ubuntu and I think a couple of them are about ready to make the switch but the others have less of an open mind to try something new.
I actually had a hard time convincing one of my friends to switch from Windows Vista to Windows 7 a few years back.