Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I downgrade kernel on 12.10?

Beans

Re: How do I downgrade kernel on 12.10?

Since this is posted in: Absolute Beginners Section, I would agree on what has been posted here about downgrading the whole Linux distribution. That is definitely the most easiest thing to do, but...

In case you want and feel you got the time for it: learn how to build and compile your own Linux kernel.

I've done it myself "some years ago" and it's a pretty cool experience in my opinion, because you get to deselect/select exactly the things based on your personal taste and opinion, and that means you can take out a lot of hardware support that you will never need, so that's nice and Ubuntu will never ever be able to this for you (well... at least not for free). So if you choose that, there's lots of good documentation from different places on how to do it. I would advice you to make a full backup of your Ubuntu system before attempting anything like this.

It is also possible to have multiple Linux kernels to select from at boot time if configured correctly and provided the disc space is enough where the linux kernels are stored. It's pretty nice.
    Debian 11 "Bullseye"
    HP Envy 2021 laptop
    Linux user since 1999.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by audiomick View Post
    Just as a matter of interest, what program is it?
    Sorry for the late reply.

The program is called Symantec Antivirus For Linux (SAVFL)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by regency View Post
    You are going to a lot of trouble to install a program that is not needed in Linux and won't really do anything for you. It is a common misconception for people coming from Windows that they need to install antivirus. Please read this.

Beans

DuckHook +1

A shorter explanation can be found here:
    https://sites.google.com/site/easyli...oject/security

You really don't need antivirus in Linux. And I mean *really*.

Relax, you're running Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

From their website that application is meant for enterprise servers etc, presumably to prevent windows clients downloaded infected software of your Linux servers. It is completely inappropriate for a desktop Linux machine, as others have pointed out there are no live Linux viruses and the security model in use makes viruses very unlikely.
    Tony - Happy to try to help.
    Unless otherwise stated - all code posted by me is untested. Remember to Mark the Thread as Solved.
    Ubuntu user number # 24044 Projects : TimeWarp - on the fly Backups

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It definitely isn't worth the time and effort to get Symantec Antivirus For Linux to run on your computer.

Plus downgrading you Linux Kernel could introduce stability and incompatibility problems.

And thou an Antivirus isn't really needed for Linux it is still a good idea to use one if you share files with Windows users.
    You could have a Virus Infected file that has no effect on your computer but could totally FUBAR a Windows computer.

Try this Antivirus, it is Quick and simple to use and does the job without having to jump through hoops just to get it to work...

ClamTk
    http://clamtk.sourceforge.net/

Beans

Hi guys,

Thanks for your advice.

I DO know that Linux machines don't need antivirus software.

Nevertheless I wish to install it just so I can learn the basics of issuing Linux commands (to be more exact Debian commands).

I can't learn computing or Linux by picking up and reading a manual. I have to have a project to work on and as I work on it, I pick up skills and concepts along the way.

I have installed Symantec Antivirus for Linux successfully on Ubuntu 12.10, kernel 3.5.0.21 and I know how to sudo some commands, change directories/folders, build some kernel modules using "build-essential" command within a time period of 3 days. I even helped Symantec update its technical support documentation about its software compatibility with the latest version of Ubuntu OS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by The Spectre View Post
    You could have a Virus Infected file that has no effect on your computer but could totally FUBAR a Windows computer.
    I appreciate your sentiments, but must disagree on the strategy...

One of the advantages of running Linux is not having to weigh down your system with anti-virus. Rather counterproductive to move to a virus-free OS if we end up running all of the AV crud anyway. And it adds insult to injury to do so for the sake of an OS that actually chooses to be security-deficient. If a Windows user can't be bothered to guard their own system against threats that are the result of shortcomings in their own OS, then the efforts of the comparatively small base of Linux users isn't going to make a shred of difference. Such Windows users will get infected from somewhere else. In fact, I believe that Windows has to lie in the bed it makes for itself. I'm not trying to be harsh here: it's more the principle that consequences must fall to the appropriate party or else there is no incentive for change. Therefore, unless a Linux user is running a public web/mail/file server (clearly not your average user), I go so far as to actively discourage the installation of antivirus because doing so continues to silently endorse one of the worst aspects of OS design.

I've gone way off-topic by now, so apologies to all.

Beans

@DuckHook: very well put! That hits the nail right on the head.

May I use your text on my website (see my sig)?
    Last edited by Pjotr123; December 30th, 2012 at 06:33 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

...so I can learn the basics of issuing Linux commands...
    I get the desire to learn. I went through (and am still going through) the same learning curve. I would recommend that you first install a virtual machine--itself a very fruitful learning exercise--and then a minimal install of Ubuntu 12.04. A minimal install is a stripped down command-line-only installation of the basic Linux OS. No GUI, no bells and whistles, no hand-holding. It can be found here. By using a virtual machine, you are free to bork the installation that is running within it with no consequences to your base install. It's a very liberating feeling.

Once you are up and running with this minimal install, I would suggest that you try installing all sorts of command line only tools. A really cool project is to get Netsurf running in a frame buffer (please Google "netsurf framebuffer"), or using byobu/screen/tmux to give you multiple split shells on one screen. You might also try a command line music player like mpg123 or mp3blaster. Then there's mutt for e-mail. If you tend towards the gearhead mentality, it's a really cool feeling to steadily learn how to do more and more stuff on the command line and eventually reach the point where all of your basic GUI needs are being met on the command line. Not for everyone, of course, but you'll know if it suits you or not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast