Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Video Drivers aren't working (ATI 4250)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Video Drivers aren't working (ATI 4250)

I've never had a problem with the open source drivers with my HD4870, however, I wanted to participate in the Steam Beta, which is when things got messy. It would appear that my easiest solution is a new GPU, which I can't justify

Beans

Angry Re: Video Drivers aren't working (ATI 4250)

Quote Originally Posted by ArminasAnarchy View Post
    I see that a few users have already pointed out that AMD have dropped support for this in 12.10. What I'd recommend is dropping back to 12.04, it's a LTS, so you've got support and use for the next few years, and although you lose the latest and greatest, at least you can install the ATI drivers. I've done this for my cousin's PC (which I've been responsible for building/maintaining), and I managed to get Steam installed. I've not had the time to test it yet, but at least all the bits were working.

Why AMD don't hand the driver over to the community to update and maintain is beyond me. There's a problem upstream, and consequently all of the users down stream are stuffed. Maybe someone could work on a ndiswrapper style work around, but I spent hours trying to get this working to no avail.
    I AM ON THE "12.04" version ALREADY man and I didn't even upgraded to 12.10 in the past. And I HAVE the drivers installed but having LAG issues everywhere even browsing through my files and ALT+TABing windows. THAT'S the main problem. "I WANT TO RUN UBUNTU JUST LIKE WATER i.e. SMOOTH". :'(

Beans
    Distro

What's the problem with the open source drivers if I may ask?

i. e. Why do you feel you need the AMD proprietary driver?

Beans

Question Re: Video Drivers aren't working (ATI 4250)

Quote Originally Posted by verymadpip View Post
    What's the problem with the open source drivers if I may ask?

i. e. Why do you feel you need the AMD proprietary driver?
    I AM HAVING PERFORMANCE ISSUES.
    No AMD proprietary driver NOR open-source drivers are giving me performance as anyone would expect. Ubuntu LAGS like HELL whenever I install ANY of above drivers (or maybe there's something to tweak that I don't know so point me out on that).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rex_dante View Post
    I AM HAVING PERFORMANCE ISSUES.
    No AMD proprietary driver NOR open-source drivers are giving me performance as anyone would expect. Ubuntu LAGS like HELL whenever I install ANY of above drivers (or maybe there's something to tweak that I don't know so point me out on that).
    You shouldn't need to manually install the open source driver following an installation.
    If you're doing that something is way off IMO.

I suggest a clean installation of 12.04.1, update it, leave the drivers alone, & see how that is.

As I've had no problems I can't advise you on what to "tweak", sorry bud.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by verymadpip View Post
    You shouldn't need to manually install the open source driver following an installation.
    If you're doing that something is way off IMO.

I suggest a clean installation of 12.04.1, update it, leave the drivers alone, & see how that is.

As I've had no problems I can't advise you on what to "tweak", sorry bud.
    I just wanted to second this. If things are still laggy, or if you're planning on installing the steam beta, then try following this guide: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

Don't bother using the GUI, jump straight to the command line method. Make sure you enable hardware acceleration too, I don't know the technicalities about what exactly the difference is, but it can't hurt, right?

If after all this you're still having issues, maybe try switching to Kubuntu? Personally I hate Unity anyway, but if everything else is running without issue but you're still suffering, I guess that would suggest the OS is at fault, somehow. Maybe try one of the lightweight desktop environments too, something like Xfce/LXDE? Though you really shouldn't need to with that card.

Beans

Still waiting for a WORKING response from experienced users. :'(

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I run a Compaq Presario laptop with the ATI 4250 on Kubuntu 12.04 using the Catalyst 12.6 legacy drivers and it runs smoothly. It also ran fine with the open source drivers, but I wanted to use some of the Catalyst features. I haven't tried Ubuntu. Perhaps you could try running Kubuntu from a live disk and see how it performs?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieApocalypse View Post
    I run a Compaq Presario laptop with the ATI 4250 on Kubuntu 12.04 using the Catalyst 12.6 legacy drivers and it runs smoothly. It also ran fine with the open source drivers, but I wanted to use some of the Catalyst features. I haven't tried Ubuntu. Perhaps you could try running Kubuntu from a live disk and see how it performs?
    See, Ubuntu runs SMOOTH when I "don't" use ANY drivers. Problem occurs when I install ANY drivers. And I'm just about to remove the drivers now AGAIN and won't install in anymore. I'm fed of this **** now! :\ :'((

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

AMD have now released 13.1 legacy drivers (http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...eon_linux.aspx). If you're feeling masochistic you could try these.

But to be honest, if you want people to help you, I think you need to provide more information. Like the exact procedure you used to installed the drivers (ie commands you typed into the terminal, etc).

However, if your system is working fine on the open source drivers and your needs are adequately fulfilled, then perhaps you should just stick to these?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast