Thread: The Amazon search results are still there

Beans

The Amazon search results are still there

Even after removing it with this command
    sudo apt-get remove unity-lens-shopping

and using the privacy setting and turning it off, I still see Amazon results. I'm trying to remove it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: The Amazon search results are still there

Are you sure you actually removed it (no error message when removing the lens package)? Try rebooting or logging out/logging in, too.

Beans

Yes, and I even went to the software manager and removed it there. Ubuntu must not want me to get rid of Amazon...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Try it in synaptic.

sudo apt-get install synaptic

Then search for amazon. Mark all packages, including the lens for complete removal. The Software Center only removes them, but keeps config files and at times doesn't really do more than disable them. In your case, something odd is going on.

Synaptic is a MUCH more powerful package manager. If you knew all the package names, you could remove them through the terminal. Be careful though, it might say you have to remove other packages when removing amazon packages. That's fine if it's ubuntu-desktop as this is only a meta-package that is useful for upgrading only... but make sure it doesn't remove anything important to you. Post what it says if this is true.
    When your entire life is measured in one moment, you change the concept of time.