Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Shuttleworth: "Unity in 2013 will be all about mobile –*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Mark Shuttleworth: "Unity in 2013 will be all about mobile –*

Mark, Good Luck! I've a 10.1" tablet and a 7"tablet both running Android with slower GHZ processors and 1 GB storage - side by side they are faster than blazes than anything I've got Unity on. Even with faster processors and equal or more GB Unity just does not compare.

The Androids are up and on the internet while Unity is still trying to boot and paint the desktop. Oh, yes, Androids no problem at all with wireless WPA security while Ubuntu has delays, problems, and needs prodding on my netbook and notebook. Yes, launchpad bugs written, no action. Tell Android once about security & password and boom it's up on all subsequent boots. Not so with Ubuntu.

Now your milage may vary - oh, yes, the Android computers are comparable in price if not cheaper.

So I test Raring anyway, except when I want to get some work done then it's mint14.

Your preferences and results will vary....

Beans

Re: Mark Shuttleworth: "Unity in 2013 will be all about mobile –*

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    ...(deleted rant and unsuccessful attempt at sarcasm)...
    Get a life?
    Last edited by Pjotr123; December 26th, 2012 at 10:26 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    Mark, Good Luck! I've a 10.1" tablet and a 7"tablet both running Android with slower GHZ processors and 1 GB storage - side by side they are faster than blazes than anything I've got Unity on. Even with faster processors and equal or more GB Unity just does not compare.

The Androids are up and on the internet while Unity is still trying to boot and paint the desktop. Oh, yes, Androids no problem at all with wireless WPA security while Ubuntu has delays, problems, and needs prodding on my netbook and notebook. Yes, launchpad bugs written, no action. Tell Android once about security & password and boom it's up on all subsequent boots. Not so with Ubuntu.

Now your milage may vary - oh, yes, the Android computers are comparable in price if not cheaper.

So I test Raring anyway, except when I want to get some work done then it's mint14.

Your preferences and results will vary....
    +1 great post.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Pjotr123 View Post
    Get a life?
    you may view it as a rant but he speaks the truth .
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough

Beans
    Distro

All of the current development work that is being done on Ubuntu for Android on the Nexus 7 is designed to address these very issues.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7/raring-targets
    http://status.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-rari...-embedded.html
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    +1 great post.
    Agreed,

Beans

Well, it's just the mentality that I find wrong. Unity is work in progress, especially where mobile is concerned. Of course there are bugs (duh....).

All this negative criticism of Unity and of the aspirations of Canonical for the future of Unity, is rather cheap. At least in my opinion.

Note that I don't like Unity myself; I'm a Xubuntu user myself, since 11.10. It's just that all this negativism seems rather unfair. For Pete's sake, give the developers a chance...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by Pjotr123 View Post
    Well, it's just the mentality that I find wrong. Unity is work in progress, especially where mobile is concerned. Of course there are bugs (duh....).

All this negative criticism of Unity and of the aspirations of Canonical for the future of Unity, is rather cheap. At least in my opinion.

Note that I don't like Unity myself; I'm a Xubuntu user myself, since 11.10. It's just that all this negativism seems rather unfair. For Pete's sake, give the developers a chance...

I think jerry makes some good points , sarcasm or no sarcasm. The devs have had many chances. They filleted compiz settings manager and totally neutered Unity 2D (a masterpiece and milestone) and in the process obsoleted a lot of older machines (and newer ones it appears.)

However, reading between the lines, I do not think that Canonical will abandon their attempts to bring whatever hardware facilitated desktops (towers) they can into the fold within reason of their ways and means. Leaning on the tablet industry to pay the bills and bring in bread and butter is more or less like playing pic-up-sticks and I think cooler heads will prevail.

On the other hand I can see that Canonical has to make some sort of income to pay it's administrators and all the free bandwidth we enjoy (not to mention all the cool programs we get for FREE.)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I think jerry makes some good points , sarcasm or no sarcasm. The devs have had many chances. They filleted compiz settings manager and totally neutered Unity 2D (a masterpiece and milestone) and in the process obsoleted a lot of older machines (and newer ones it appears.)
    Yes! I'd actually grown to really like Unity in 12.04 but the performance is so horrid in 12.10 it's just a none-starter

I'll grant you that an Intel Atom 230 with 2GB or RAM is a bit peaked, but I can run a standard gnome-shell session acceptably fast, that is I don't notice any lag time where I'm saying to myself, "sheesh this is slow".

But that happens all the time with Unity now. I tend to think it must be a Compiz issue but I'm not technically smart enough to know that for a fact

I still have my fingers crossed though. I mean they just got started with 'llvmpipe' in the last cycle so they might still be able to improve on performance. Not a big deal because there are so many new options I feel like a kid in a candy store

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I won't judge Unity's performance because I haven't tried the last versions, but what strikes me is the absolute faith that all the major OS actors seem to have about "the future is mobile and the desktop is dead" mantra.

I do have a smart phone and a tablet too, and find then convenient, but if I had to live with just only one "computer" that would be my traditional PC (Triple boot KDE/XFCE/Windows7).

But Microsoft takes the Windows 8 route, Apple changes Mac OS X to make it more like iOS and hasn't released a pro Mac in ages, and the major Linux distro has similar plans. WTF?

(BTW, this is a fine moment for the UF mods that publicly insulted any user that insinuated that Unity had anything to do with tablets, to apologize in public too)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast