Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows software alternatives

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Windows software alternatives

Although there's no reason you can't dual boot, OpenShot is a personal favorite for video editing. It works with Blender for 3D titles and such. A good place to look for alternatives to all kinds of software is osalt.com.

Anyway, you should definitely be able to fix your boot issue, but there's not really enough information to help. Does Windows show up in Grub at all?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by qyot27 View Post
    It all depends on the underlying hardware, really. I don't use Vegas for my video editing (Premiere user), but if you've got a Core i-series or equivalent processor, then running NLE software in a Windows VM shouldn't be that painful, if at all.

Although if it can run without problems under Wine, that's preferable to using a VM.
    I'm on an AMD A6 Quad-Core processor...

You think uninstalling Win8 with OS-Uninstaller might solve the problem? I got no idea what to do, the Win7 installer also doesn't recognize any partitions (except for my external HDD, which doesn't really help me ^_^ )

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mredding View Post
    Anyway, you should definitely be able to fix your boot issue, but there's not really enough information to help. Does Windows show up in Grub at all?
    Yes, Windows shows up in Grub, but when i choose it, it says:

error: device format "ldm/bfa0ee70-37cd-11e2-be81-101f74172b72/Volume1" invalid: must be (f|h)dN, with 0 <= N < 128.
    Press any key to continue...

and then

A disk read error occured
    Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

Quote Originally Posted by mredding View Post
    A good place to look for alternatives to all kinds of software is osalt.com.
    Thanks, that's a really good website
    Last edited by microdroid; December 27th, 2012 at 03:48 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Although I've never seen that specific problem (hopefully someone else can give better advice) you may be successful booting with the Windows CD and doing a startup repair. If that works to restore Windows, you can then use the Ubuntu Live CD to reinstall grub.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12