Thread: Quickbooks 5 for Windows runs under PlayonLinux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.10 Kinetic Kudu

Quickbooks 5 for Windows runs under PlayonLinux

On the barriers to getting XP out of my office and everything running Ubuntu 12.04 lts (64-bit), has been geeting Quickbooks 5 for Windows (1997 version) to run. I have tried Crossover and Wine without success. My Son got an iPad Nano for Christmas, and I had to get it running. He had done some research and found that Playonlinux was recommended. After we got iTunes 7 running, I then experimented on what else it could do. Would it load Quickbooks? The install program died at same point it did with Crossover. I tried again using the option to set Wine parameters. I set Wine for Win 95 and tried again. The installer failed, but when I closed out the installer, I found QBW.EXE listed as an installed program under Playonlinux. I highlighted QBX.EXE and hit run. I loaded and ran fine.

Next step was to transfer my QBB backup files from my XP system. QBW would not recognize them unless I put them in the "z" drive under home/john. Once there, QBW restored them correctly.

Both my office Ubuntu machines are running 64-bit Ubunutu 12.04 lts, using AMD cpu's and 8 GB RAM. I hope others with QB 5 can try to see if they can get it to run under Ubuntu.

Thank you,

John

Beans

Re: Quickbooks 5 for Windows runs under PlayonLinux

I tried this back on Quickbooks Pro 2000 and Quickbooks Pro 2005 back when I had Ubuntu 10+. It was a total failure on Wine. I read recently that it supposedly works now, but I still doubt it.

If you have any of the two or any QB series below 2009, you cannot access your banks to sync with the accounts.

PS, I wish this bulletin board would use something that's easier to access like Disqus, we'll probably get more input here. I'm so tired of signing up to new service/account for each new website; soon, I will forget this account/password.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.10 Kinetic Kudu

Re: Quickbooks 5 for Windows runs under PlayonLinux

The solution here was to get a copy of QuickBooks 2001 from a used software retailer (found on Amazon). Installed it under Crossover and runs very well except for one small point. When you go to write the backup file, it will not recognize any of the drives EVEN THOUGH it can load a backup or QBW file from those drives. Since I am using SPIDEROAK, I just backup the QBW files.

John