Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a easier OS?

Beans

Is there a easier OS?

I really want to become a linux user but I'm having trouble using Ubuntu. I was wondering if there a easier OS.

With Ubuntu my internet dosent work.

Is there a better OS to start with? I don't want to have to go into the shell or whatever it called to get things to work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Is there a easier OS?

See this thread to get back a tradition Gnome style. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1859961

Xubuntu is a good choice if you want a more traditional desktop also.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

You could also provide more information about the computer and internet problem.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

For learning Linux I think Ubuntu is likely one of if not the easiest to learn distribution there is, but with anything new there is a learning curve and personal time invested which makes it worthwhile. Not to mention that this is one of the best online forums to get help along the way.

Beans

Xubuntu indeed is a lot easier to get started with, it's more minimalistic and therefore you get a much better overview over your system. If you run into any problems, there are many ways we can help you. Just make a post in the absolute beginners forum(http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=326) and we can help you and guide you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by tahdas View Post
    I really want to become a linux user but I'm having trouble using Ubuntu. I was wondering if there a easier OS.

Is there a better OS to start with? I don't want to have to go into the shell or whatever it called to get things to work.
    If your internet doesn't work out-of-the-box on Ubuntu and you really need terminal to make it work, then it will probably be the same for all Linuxes or free OSes. Ubuntu has a very wide selection of preinstalled drivers and it is not normal for your internet to not be working straight after installing Ubuntu.

However if this is a wifi problem you might want to buy a simple, cheap wifi USB that is known to work on Ubuntu. I had to do that once and it cost me $9 (half an hour's pay for me at the time, saved me easily half an hour of time).
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

ubuntu is really easy. what is your problem with it? try to work with it and after a while, you will find that it is very simple.
    Forza Linux زنده باد لینوکس
    MrAli
    http://alihzadeh.blog.ir/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    You could also provide more information about the computer and internet problem.
    +1 but I'd use should instead of could. As the original post stands, there's no way people can help fix the problem.

iMac71 is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tahdas View Post

it seems to me that you've forgot to select the installation of third parts software when you've installed Ubuntu.
    If this is correct, there are only two ways for solving your problem:
    1) get elsewhere the driver;
    or
    2) re-install Ubuntu without forgetting to select the installation of third parts software.

Beans

The easiest is Puppy Linux:
    www.puppylinux.org

Otherwise, the older and more mature distributions like Suse, Fedora, PC Linux OS and Mageia all have much better wizards than Ubuntu.

With Mageia or PCLOS you never need to use the command line. They have wizards for everything and the kitchen sink. By comparison, Ubuntu is really one of the worst Linux distros. It is only popular due to all the advertising money spent on it.

However, once you know Linux, it doesn't matter which distro you use any more, because underneath the clickety shiny bits they are all the same.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast