Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Installing ubuntu on Windows 8

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chilliwack B.C.
    Beans
    53
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Exclamation Installing ubuntu on Windows 8

    I just got a new laptop for X-mas and I'm having a bit of an issue. The laptop came with Windows 8 pre installed and I hate it. I want to install ubuntu 12.10 instead but I have noticed there is some weird partitions on the hard drive. There is the windows 8 partition, a UEFI partition a recovery image and a acer one button reset partition. Is it safe to wipe all of these and just install ubuntu on 1 partition? When I saw the UEFI partition I was not sure if it was safe to get rid of that because it has to do with the BIOS.

    HELP!
    Shuttle AB48PN, WD Caviar Blue 320Gb, Pentium 4 OC to 3GHz, 2Gb corsair DDR333, Sapphire Radeon HD 4650, Acer 23" LCD monitor, Sparkle 400 Watt PSU.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wadena, MN USA
    Beans
    319
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

    Re: Installing ubuntu on Windows 8

    EFI System partition
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search

    The EFI System partition (ESP) is a partition on a data storage device that is used by machines that adhere to the Extensible Firmware Interface. It contains the boot loader programs for all operating systems installed (in other partitions) on the device, device driver files (used by the firmware at boot time) for other devices, and system utility programs that are intended to be run before an operating system is booted.[1]

    The EFI System partition is formatted using the FAT12, FAT16 or FAT32 file system. The globally unique identifier for the EFI System partition in the GUID Partition Table scheme is C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B. Its ID in the MBR partition table scheme is 0xEF. Whether a disk contains an EFI System partition is unrelated to the partition table scheme (GPT or MBR) that it uses.

    Usage
    Windows

    Microsoft recommends that when partitioning a disk, the EFI System partition be the first partition on the disk.[2] This is not a requirement of the EFI specification itself. On Windows XP 64-Bit Edition and later, access to the EFI System Partition is obtained by running the mountvol /s command.
    Apple–Intel

    On Apple–Intel architecture Macintosh computers, the EFI partition is initially blank and not used for booting.[3] However, the EFI partition is used as a staging area for firmware updates;[4] specifically, it places a firmware flash utility (EFI binary) and data file (FD – "Firmware Device"[5]) in the directory EFI/APPLE/FIRMWARE which is then run when rebooting the system in "flash firmware" mode.[6]

    If deleted, the system will still boot, and the boot manager will still allow users to choose whether to start a Boot Camp partition or the default Mac OS X, but firmware updates will fail.
    Why not donate your unused computer time to World Community Grid.
    It's simple, secure, and you can contribute for free.
    http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/home.do

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chilliwack B.C.
    Beans
    53
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Installing ubuntu on Windows 8

    Quote Originally Posted by hunterkasy View Post
    EFI System partition
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search

    The EFI System partition (ESP) is a partition on a data storage device that is used by machines that adhere to the Extensible Firmware Interface. It contains the boot loader programs for all operating systems installed (in other partitions) on the device, device driver files (used by the firmware at boot time) for other devices, and system utility programs that are intended to be run before an operating system is booted.[1]

    The EFI System partition is formatted using the FAT12, FAT16 or FAT32 file system. The globally unique identifier for the EFI System partition in the GUID Partition Table scheme is C12A7328-F81F-11D2-BA4B-00A0C93EC93B. Its ID in the MBR partition table scheme is 0xEF. Whether a disk contains an EFI System partition is unrelated to the partition table scheme (GPT or MBR) that it uses.

    Usage
    Windows

    Microsoft recommends that when partitioning a disk, the EFI System partition be the first partition on the disk.[2] This is not a requirement of the EFI specification itself. On Windows XP 64-Bit Edition and later, access to the EFI System Partition is obtained by running the mountvol /s command.
    Apple–Intel

    On Apple–Intel architecture Macintosh computers, the EFI partition is initially blank and not used for booting.[3] However, the EFI partition is used as a staging area for firmware updates;[4] specifically, it places a firmware flash utility (EFI binary) and data file (FD – "Firmware Device"[5]) in the directory EFI/APPLE/FIRMWARE which is then run when rebooting the system in "flash firmware" mode.[6]

    If deleted, the system will still boot, and the boot manager will still allow users to choose whether to start a Boot Camp partition or the default Mac OS X, but firmware updates will fail.

    I don't really get a clear answer from that. Im a bit new to the newer hardware. So im guessing what you are saying is that it is safe?
    Shuttle AB48PN, WD Caviar Blue 320Gb, Pentium 4 OC to 3GHz, 2Gb corsair DDR333, Sapphire Radeon HD 4650, Acer 23" LCD monitor, Sparkle 400 Watt PSU.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Forida
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Installing ubuntu on Windows 8

    Some are having issues getting back into UEFI/BIOS. If you do not turn quick boot off then the only way to get to UEFI is thru Windows. And if you delete Windows.....

    Windows partitions:
    Microsoft suggested partitions including reserved partition for gpt & UEFI:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...8WS.10%29.aspx
    Older Windows info on gpt - 2008 updated 2011
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/wind.../gg463525.aspx


    You will need to use the 64 bit version of 12.10 and from the UEFI menu boot the flash drive in UEFI mode. That way it will install in UEFI mode.
    Systems need quick boot or fast boot turned off in UEFI settings.
    Most have to turn secure boot off but still boot in UEFI mode not BIOS/legacy mode from flash drive installer.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UEFI
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFIBooting


    What laptop?

    some that have worked.
    Asus x202e dual boot Win 8 full and Ubuntu post #13
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2092966
    Sony Vaio [SOLVED] dual boot ubuntu 12.10 & windows 8 problem
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2094761
    HP p6-2326 Ubuntu and windows 8 Boot DVD
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2093445
    Dell XPS 8500, desktop. Win 8 eventually worked (Ignore sidetrack to EasyBCD)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2086383
    No EFI boot on Dell Inspiron One 2330 UEFI/BIOS update solved issues:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2086631
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chilliwack B.C.
    Beans
    53
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Installing ubuntu on Windows 8

    Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Some are having issues getting back into UEFI/BIOS. If you do not turn quick boot off then the only way to get to UEFI is thru Windows. And if you delete Windows.....

    Windows partitions:
    Microsoft suggested partitions including reserved partition for gpt & UEFI:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...8WS.10%29.aspx
    Older Windows info on gpt - 2008 updated 2011
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/wind.../gg463525.aspx


    You will need to use the 64 bit version of 12.10 and from the UEFI menu boot the flash drive in UEFI mode. That way it will install in UEFI mode.
    Systems need quick boot or fast boot turned off in UEFI settings.
    Most have to turn secure boot off but still boot in UEFI mode not BIOS/legacy mode from flash drive installer.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/UEFI
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFIBooting


    What laptop?

    some that have worked.
    Asus x202e dual boot Win 8 full and Ubuntu post #13
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2092966
    Sony Vaio [SOLVED] dual boot ubuntu 12.10 & windows 8 problem
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2094761
    HP p6-2326 Ubuntu and windows 8 Boot DVD
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2093445
    Dell XPS 8500, desktop. Win 8 eventually worked (Ignore sidetrack to EasyBCD)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2086383
    No EFI boot on Dell Inspiron One 2330 UEFI/BIOS update solved issues:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2086631

    Thanks a'lot but I am not trying to duel boot. I was wondering if it would be safe to just click the install Ubuntu button and wipe everything and just have the ubuntu partition plus the swap partition it creates.
    Shuttle AB48PN, WD Caviar Blue 320Gb, Pentium 4 OC to 3GHz, 2Gb corsair DDR333, Sapphire Radeon HD 4650, Acer 23" LCD monitor, Sparkle 400 Watt PSU.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wadena, MN USA
    Beans
    319
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

    Re: Installing ubuntu on Windows 8

    this is for linux mint but it should be for all distros

    http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/858

    How to install Linux on UEFI systems where GRUB fail to install?

    Hi everyone,


    I’m writing this because a lot of people out there are facing some issues in installing Linux on a machine that have an EFI capable bios.


    A lot are complaining that GRUB is not installing properly, leaving a computer in an unusable state. Usually they get an error message at the startup: “no operating system found” or in dual booting only windows starts up.


    I’m sure this is a temporary situation, and Linux Mint will find a way to install in EFI based bios and GPT formatted HDDs easily.


    In a short and simple QA I will try to explain how to fix this:


    Question: Why GRUB is not installing properly in my machine?
    Answer: New machines have EFI capable bios. This means that by default MS Windows is installed in UEFI mode and this requires a GPT formatted Hard Disk. At the present GRUB cannot install itself in GPT partition table without a huge effort and special skills.

    Question: How to make GRUB work in my machine?
    Answer: The easiest way is to convert your HDD from GPT partition table to MBR partition table (or MSDOS in Linux) and after that install your Linux Mint.

    Question: How can I convert my HDD from GPT to MBR partition table?
    Answer: You can use a distro of your choice in live mode. In live mode, find the program GPARTED. Wait until it recognizes all your drives and select your HDD. Right click over it, and choose the option to create a new partition table. Choose MSDOS from the list. Hit ok than apply/commit all changes. ATTENTION this will erase all your data and MS Windows (or any other OS) will disappear. Your HDD is now converted in MSDOS or MBR. You can now boot your preferred distro, create your partition scheme and install Linux.

    Question: Do I need to make any changes to my bios settings?
    Answer: If you have a capable UEFI and LEGACY bios, put the bios in Legacy boot only or Both enabled with Legacy boot first.

    Question: Can I dual boot Win7 and Linux on a UEFI capable bios?

    Answer: Yes you can. If your HDD is formatted in MBR partition table (or msdos) than you can install first windows 7 and than the distro of your choice. BUT, careful, if you install windows from a DVD media it will convert your HDD in GPT partition table and dual boot will be almost impossible... (or will give you a lot of headache) to avoid this, dump the win7 iso to an usb using Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool. Installing from USB will not change the hdd in GPT partition table.
    Why not donate your unused computer time to World Community Grid.
    It's simple, secure, and you can contribute for free.
    http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/home.do

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chilliwack B.C.
    Beans
    53
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Installing ubuntu on Windows 8

    Quote Originally Posted by hunterkasy View Post
    this is for linux mint but it should be for all distros

    http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/858

    How to install Linux on UEFI systems where GRUB fail to install?

    Hi everyone,


    I’m writing this because a lot of people out there are facing some issues in installing Linux on a machine that have an EFI capable bios.


    A lot are complaining that GRUB is not installing properly, leaving a computer in an unusable state. Usually they get an error message at the startup: “no operating system found” or in dual booting only windows starts up.


    I’m sure this is a temporary situation, and Linux Mint will find a way to install in EFI based bios and GPT formatted HDDs easily.


    In a short and simple QA I will try to explain how to fix this:


    Question: Why GRUB is not installing properly in my machine?
    Answer: New machines have EFI capable bios. This means that by default MS Windows is installed in UEFI mode and this requires a GPT formatted Hard Disk. At the present GRUB cannot install itself in GPT partition table without a huge effort and special skills.

    Question: How to make GRUB work in my machine?
    Answer: The easiest way is to convert your HDD from GPT partition table to MBR partition table (or MSDOS in Linux) and after that install your Linux Mint.

    Question: How can I convert my HDD from GPT to MBR partition table?
    Answer: You can use a distro of your choice in live mode. In live mode, find the program GPARTED. Wait until it recognizes all your drives and select your HDD. Right click over it, and choose the option to create a new partition table. Choose MSDOS from the list. Hit ok than apply/commit all changes. ATTENTION this will erase all your data and MS Windows (or any other OS) will disappear. Your HDD is now converted in MSDOS or MBR. You can now boot your preferred distro, create your partition scheme and install Linux.

    Question: Do I need to make any changes to my bios settings?
    Answer: If you have a capable UEFI and LEGACY bios, put the bios in Legacy boot only or Both enabled with Legacy boot first.

    Question: Can I dual boot Win7 and Linux on a UEFI capable bios?

    Answer: Yes you can. If your HDD is formatted in MBR partition table (or msdos) than you can install first windows 7 and than the distro of your choice. BUT, careful, if you install windows from a DVD media it will convert your HDD in GPT partition table and dual boot will be almost impossible... (or will give you a lot of headache) to avoid this, dump the win7 iso to an usb using Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool. Installing from USB will not change the hdd in GPT partition table.

    Thanks a'lot for the input but I am really just asking a yes or no question. When I install ubuntu can I select use entire drive and use *Delete windows 8 and install Ubuntu 12.10* ?
    Shuttle AB48PN, WD Caviar Blue 320Gb, Pentium 4 OC to 3GHz, 2Gb corsair DDR333, Sapphire Radeon HD 4650, Acer 23" LCD monitor, Sparkle 400 Watt PSU.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Wadena, MN USA
    Beans
    319
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

    Re: Installing ubuntu on Windows 8

    Quote Originally Posted by QsoftStudios View Post
    Thanks a'lot for the input but I am really just asking a yes or no question. When I install ubuntu can I select use entire drive and use *Delete windows 8 and install Ubuntu 12.10* ?
    I say go for it, may have to make a change in the bios but if you delete the partition and create a new one"s" with linux I am guessing it should work, if not you will be on here asking for help either way I say go for it
    Why not donate your unused computer time to World Community Grid.
    It's simple, secure, and you can contribute for free.
    http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/home.do

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chilliwack B.C.
    Beans
    53
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Re: Installing ubuntu on Windows 8

    Quote Originally Posted by hunterkasy View Post
    I say go for it, may have to make a change in the bios but if you delete the partition and create a new one"s" with linux I am guessing it should work, if not you will be on here asking for help either way I say go for it
    *Takes deep breath* Ok thanks I just wanted to make sure cuse its a BRAND new laptop and I really wouldn't want to brick it.
    Shuttle AB48PN, WD Caviar Blue 320Gb, Pentium 4 OC to 3GHz, 2Gb corsair DDR333, Sapphire Radeon HD 4650, Acer 23" LCD monitor, Sparkle 400 Watt PSU.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chilliwack B.C.
    Beans
    53
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

    Talking Re: Installing ubuntu on Windows 8

    Quote Originally Posted by hunterkasy View Post
    I say go for it, may have to make a change in the bios but if you delete the partition and create a new one"s" with linux I am guessing it should work, if not you will be on here asking for help either way I say go for it

    YES! the default install has worked. Ubuntu recognized the UEFI bios and made its own 90mb EFI partition.

    I can confirm it works on an Acer Aspire V5-471 laptop computer. I will now mark this as solved, thanks guys!
    Shuttle AB48PN, WD Caviar Blue 320Gb, Pentium 4 OC to 3GHz, 2Gb corsair DDR333, Sapphire Radeon HD 4650, Acer 23" LCD monitor, Sparkle 400 Watt PSU.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •