Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I barely use Microsoft Windows, but I'll stay up to date with future versions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I barely use Microsoft Windows, but I'll stay up to date with future versions

Ever since I bought my System76 Lemur Ultra Thin (lemu4) notebook PC, I have been using Ubuntu 12.04.1 64 bit Long Term Service and I flirted with Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit soon after its release date full-time. I also did quite a bit of distro hopping by switching to OpenSuSE 12.2 and Tumbleweed plus Red Hat Fedora 17 64 bit as well. My days of switching GNU/Linux distributions is pretty much over. I see Ubuntu as the pre-eminent GNU/Linux distribution of choice for pretty much the same reasons as most Ubuntu users here do.

I was using Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 and then I upgraded to Microsoft Windows 8 Pro 64 bit on November 6th, 2012. That was a bad mistake. Now, I can not easily go back to Windows 7 64 bit because my product key and PUL have been nullified by Microsoft Corporation after I upgraded.

I barely use Microsoft Windows at all nowadays. I find it to be boring and it's difficult to make it work the way that I want it to because it is a closed source proprietary operating system. I don't like the new Microsoft Windows 8 Modern user interface that much. I get it's point, but I don't have a 10 multi-touch screen either. The digital rights management that comes with premium multimedia content is also troubling to me. It just means more vendor lock-in. Basically, I found high quality alternatives to meet my needs in Ubuntu and the price is free.

Ubuntu saves me a lot of time and money so long as I stick with Ubuntu 64 bit LTS releases. I find that the non LTS releases don't do anything special for me and I wind up re-installing LTS release versions because I want the extra stability and reliability.

Windows 8 Pro 64 bit is a good operating system, but I think that I have switched my mindset from a Microsoft customer to a Ubuntu user. I like the freedom and plethora of choices available to GNU/Linux users especially Ubuntu. There is a wide assortment of high quality free and open source software packages that I find to be more interesting and the price is almost always low or free of charge. I really don't like the new Windows 8 Store. A lot of apps are free, but the premium apps cost a couple of bucks a piece. I find it troubling that major popular apps are still not available in the Windows 8 Store yet, but I can find them in Ubuntu for free.

I think that I will continue to upgrade to the latest Microsoft Windows versions in the future, but I doubt that I will use them that much. There are a few occasions where I must use Windows 8 Pro 64 bit in order to install and use a specific software application that my family members or friends are using in order to provide them with technical support, but that's rare nowadays.

Windows 8 Pro 64 bit continues the Microsoft tradition of being very expensive and time consuming to maintain and support. I find myself constantly updating software applications manually which is a pain in the butt just so that I stay up to date and relatively safe and secure. Security is another major concern. Compared to Ubuntu, Windows 8 Pro 64 bit is pretty good, but it is not nearly as customizable for maximum security. I have to purchase a lot of third-party software security products to keep it safe and secure to meet my stringent needs. Subscriptions cost money annually as well which is another major consideration for me.

I don't envision the day that I can stop using Microsoft products in the future with their monopoly on the PC market, but I have come to a point in my life where I don't need to use their products nearly as much to get my needs met either.

I want to get rid of Microsoft Windows from my life forever, but I just don't see that happening yet. For now, I have to deal with what it is right now and continue to use Windows 8 Pro 64 bit rarely to get specific tasks or apps, but I find that software developers are porting their popular apps for GNU/Linux users especially Ubuntu as their target platform.

How about you?

Beans

Re: I barely use Microsoft Windows, but I'll stay up to date with future versions

Once Win7 goes the way of previous I think I just leave it be and just keep the antivirus crap up to date. Not going to spend money on a new version nor buy another computer like I have in the past because they decide my computer isn't good enough for them. There's still people using Win95 and older and doing okay. So guess Win7 will fall into same category. But I'll make sure to keep my Linux going at all times.
    When I got this laptop wife told me that the desktop would be jealous. Told her not to worry because it's my main Squeeze.
    It's the one I'll play with on the Linux distros. Setup the laptop as a dual and maybe add a VB/VMware player to it but keep the desktop as the main toy.

You mentioned checking out the various ones before. Out of curiosity have you checked out The Full Monty yet? I thought about it but when going to download it I was told I was looking at a five hour download. Ahh, not yet. Maybe a later date in time.
    Debian Testing and Debian Stable
    Hp Pavilion a1440n,GeForce 7300LE,2.0GB mem,250GB HD. Asus A53S Laptop running MX-18
    Ubuntu user Number:#31469, Linux Registered number:511570

Beans
    Distro

Re: I barely use Microsoft Windows, but I'll stay up to date with future versions

No, I have not tried The Full Monty yet and I have no intent on trying it to replace Ubuntu 12.04.1 64 bit LTS. I might download it since I have Verizon FiOS fiber optic Internet and try it in VM Ware Workstation 9.0.1 64 bit in January 2013.

Right now, I am on the fence with Ubuntu 13.04 64 bit. None of us here are going to find out about all of its new features list until the beta is released sometime in late March 2013. I guess that it will take at least 2 weeks if not 1 month before the Linux magazines review Ubuntu 13.04 64 bit and then I will make the decision to upgrade or stick with LTS or not.

I want to stick with plain vanilla Ubuntu 64 bit. I don't want to install another GNU/Linux distribution in the future. I hate re-installing operating systems from scratch. Distro hopping is fun, but it gets tiring after a while when I find that switching to X, Y, Z distro is not that much better than Ubuntu 64 bit LTS releases.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You might just try running live cds of new ubuntu versions to check out the new features. If it turns out to be buggy, then don't bother doing the full install. 12.04 works great for me and I'll be sticking with it for several more years.

I tend to miss many windows instalments due to the high cost of upgrading, I jumped from Win98se to Win7 and don't expect to upgrade again until I'm in the market for a new PC (could be many years).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Welly Wu View Post
    I don't like the new Microsoft Windows 8 Modern user interface that much. I get it's point, but I don't have a 10 multi-touch screen either.
    The Metro interface is a definite sticking point but I would recommend you look at a nice open source gui switcher + a lot more:

Classic Shell
    http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

This makes the whole thing a little less painful
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    The Metro interface is a definite sticking point but I would recommend you look at a nice open source gui switcher + a lot more:

Classic Shell
    http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

This makes the whole thing a little less painful
    Nice
    I know a few folks that'll find that very interesting
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by carl4926 View Post
    Nice
    I know a few folks that'll find that very interesting
    It is a great piece of software and it reminded me that there are great minds on the windows side as well .

@ Welly Wu: Believe it or not my basic use of Windows 8 (in VM with Classic Shell) is to road test and further develop a guide I write describing how to compile the newsreader slrn under windows . There are probably better reasons around...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Haven't been following the Details of W8 as Win7 does what I need it to do when I need to do the things I do?

But anyways What is the Advantages? of Win8 over 7?
    I mean I'm not seeing it tho never looked beyond the Free Interactive Cartoon on Home Screen

Is there a compelling reason for 8? I happy with Win7,Winxp & Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon for now.
    But must becoming jaded as don't know what the whoopla is about Win8.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I tried the Windows 8 preview in a VirtualBox VM. I found it to be quick, but the usability was a real problem on a desktop PC.

I found myself have to relearn certain things, and I was having to work around the new interface rather than with it. I found there were two ways into the "Start Menu" screen, which is IMO very poor.

I'm told it's better if you have a touchscreen, but for me the whole thing just feels schizophrenic.

I much prefer the direction that Ubuntu is going in and am having a great time with 12.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I havent used Windows since XP and Im going to try my best to never use it again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast