Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Are you root?"

Beans

Talking "Are you root?"

Hi guys.
    Typed this in Terminal:
    apt-get install audacious

I got this:
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?

So I typed sudo in front of "apt-get install audacious"
    Everything worked fine.

But how do I become "root"?
    I guess I sort of know what that means because I'm an Android phone user and I've rooted my phone countless times and I'm familiar with the advantages of root. Is this the same with Ubuntu? So how do I become root?

Also, a lot of people say Audacious media player is like Linux version of winamp. But I don't think it even has an equalizer. What's up with that? How is it any better than Ubuntu's default music player, Rhythm box music player? They're both very basic, as far as I can tell.

Thanks guys!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: "Are you root?"

Add the word sudo to the beginning of the command.
    This will give you the elevated privileges needed.
    It will prompt you for a password, use the password you made when you installed(most likely).
    The password field will appear blank when typing, no worries.

sudo gives a user temporary root.(super user, or substitute user)

It is case sensitive, so use lower case.

Edit: Ubuntu comes with root locked and disabled. The reason because sudo fills this need, and being root open ended is a security risk, both from outsider and ones self.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
    Last edited by deadflowr; December 24th, 2012 at 07:46 PM. Reason: reread the original post
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Should be all you need to know...
    With Ubuntu it is seldom necessary to actually be at the "root" terminal.
    The root account is not activated w/ Ubuntu
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Let me start my response with:
    The kernel protects it's self by implementing a procedure to ensure that you know what you are doing (assumes). In order to make changes to the system, one must have the proper authority. One way to gain this authority is to use "sudo" -> super user do. This authority is all enter woven in permissions and access.

As you may surmise, at this point it is appropriate for you to learn. Reading is good !
    google the term "sudo ubuntu" and let the process begin ! (google is your friend)

As to the various merits of differing players, can not advise, my needs are basic and "rhythmbox" suffices.
    just my humble opinion < == BDQ

Beans

You can also use the Ubuntu Software Center to easily install apps with a few mouse clicks. Here's a how-to:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/installingsoftware

Beans

BTW equaliser can be found with Ctrl+E. Spend a little more time with Audacious and you will find that it grows on you, a very robust and reasonably featured media player.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Root you'll only want to use if you're installing software or making modifications to system files. In which case you can just use sudo to open those particular items as root, but if you really really really want to use root, type in sudo su and you'll become root.

WARNING: You can highly damage your system if you use just root and not a standard user. If you want to login as root you can sudo su into root and type in passwd to change root's password. Again I highly recommend you DO NOT DO THIS cause root is only as needed. If you need access to certain files or directories e.g. web server, you can setup a symbolic link and have apache point to a directory in your home folder to for the web server - much safer.

Either way.

As for music player, personally I like Songbird or Exaile (Exaile is my favorite)
    Lenovo 330 - Win 10 64-bit - Ryzen 5 2500U 8GB 120GB SSD
    Dell XP 8700 - Windows 10 64-bit - i7 4790 8GB 1GB 250GB SSD 1TB HDD
    HP x360 - Elementary OS Juno - Pentium 4x1.10 4GB 500GB HDD

Beans

Try this command instead:

sudo apt-get install audacios

Now you will be asked for password, enter the administrator password amd press ENTER

Beans

Smile Re: "Are you root?"

Thanks guys, really appreciate it.

andrew.46 , I don't mean to sound like a brat but how on earth would a new Audacious user like me know that ctrl E opens up the equalizer? Is this common for many Linux apps? I'm just curious. I won't be going back to windows any time soon unless it's absolutely necessary. Just want to know what to expect from Linux.

By the way, are there any presets? I don't see any. You know, rock, pop, classical, room, auditorium, earphones, etc.

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by KayeNg; December 25th, 2012 at 03:49 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KayeNg View Post
    andrew.46 , I don't mean to sound like a brat but how on earth would a new Audacious user like me know that ctrl E opens up the equalizer? Is this common for many Linux apps? I'm just curious. I won't be going back to windows any time soon unless it's absolutely necessary. Just want to know what to expect from Linux.
    Using the gtk interface the option can be seen under 'Output' in the top title bar, keyboard shortcut is printed next to it
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast