Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cannot boot Ubuntu 12.10 - get windows error?

Beans

Re: Cannot boot Ubuntu 12.10 - get windows error?

Spent two days trying to make this work. Every step breaks something else.

Ran boot repair, and selected the RAID drive isw_defbbagaca_1Z2E24NN1 as the
    location for grub2 (it is one of two locations in the drop-down menu). This gives me
    a Grub2 menu at boot time. Selecting Windows still gives the secure boot failure.
    Selecting Ubuntu gives error:
    file not found: /boot/vmlinuz-3.5.0.21-generic.efi.signed not found

This requires repair by booting from USB-line and following recommended boot repair with no alternations.

Which puts me right back to square one. The UEFI-Bios seems to know the right thing
    to do, I just cant get winBootMgr or grub2 to do the right thing.

I was not able to understand the instructions from oldfred. The grub entries to be edited do not seem to look like the text in your message. Each xx_filename in the etc/grub.d directory look like large scripting files of several hundred lines, so I didn't change them.

-- Tom

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Please follow this procedure: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=687

Don't forget to update Boot-Repair (connect internet, then type 'sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install -y boot-sav' in a terminal) before each use.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you have secure boot errors, turn secure boot off.

Use Boot-Repair to fix your install. Grub should only be installed to efi partition with UEFI, I thought it did not even give any options, but Boot-Repair will handle that.

What I do not know is what type of RAID you have, or conversely what RAID driver grub needs to load to be able to "see" you partitions. Again I trust Boot-Repair.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12