Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Locking old threads does not make sense

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Locking old threads does not make sense

I've seen lots of blind locking of old threads with the justification that "they're old". This is simply nonsensical.

Case and point, this thread. The instructions are applicable today, useful to people, and there is valuable discussion to be had on the topic. The fact that the thread was "started" some 21 months ago is not important. The thread contains valuable information and contains an unresolved problem. If somebody can find a resolution to that issue, it makes sense to add it to the existing thread rather than separating the content into two threads.

I'm not sure how such forum guidelines are designed, agreed upon, or implemented, but this one simply doesn't make sense, and ought, for the good of the forums as a whole, to be revoked.

</my tuppence worth>
    Love & joy - Callum

Beans

Re: Locking old threads does not make sense

Old threads are locked why?

to ensure information is current.Especially considering the 6monthly release cycle.
    Originator no longer a member.
    Many are resurrected by spammers.

Our reasons are many and are not nonsense. You are free to start a fresh thread in place of a closed one.
    Last edited by KiwiNZ; December 24th, 2012 at 07:39 AM.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What is a "frees thread" in place of a closed one?

Starting a new thread continuing the discussion from an old one separates the discussion into two parts, there's no upside in it whatsoever that I can see.

In the case of the thread I linked to, it was not resurrected by spammers, the information was current, the reply was useful and relevant. Why lock the thread?
    Love & joy - Callum

Beans

It was "fresh" thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by chmac View Post
    In the case of the thread I linked to, it was not resurrected by spammers, the information was current, the reply was useful and relevant. Why lock the thread?
    Just like this thread here you resurrected. The topic in that thread did not have a response in over a year.

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Thread closed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@overdank: I think you forgot to close that thread, as it appears to still be open.

Another thread that is exactly relevant. "In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time". In both of these cases, I have some knowledge of the specific subject matter, and the advice was relevant then and is relevant now.

Other than blindly following some nonsensical rule, what is the specific and actual benefit from closing the thread? As far as I can tell, there is none, and none has been offered here. It's simply "the rules" and "we follow the rules".
    Love & joy - Callum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

@overdank: I think you forgot to close that thread, as it appears to still be open.

Another thread that is exactly relevant. "In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time". In both of these cases, I have some knowledge of the specific subject matter, and the advice was relevant then and is relevant now.

Other than blindly following some nonsensical rule, what is the specific and actual benefit from closing the thread? As far as I can tell, there is none, and none has been offered here. It's simply "the rules" and "we follow the rules".
    I can not see the information you posted in the thread as useful other than to bump a year old thread.
    I do see however that a new thread with your issues and possible solutions would be.
    I guess we agree to disagree.

Beans

This is a moderated Forum, you agree to these conditions. Staff make decision based on the bigger picture, goals of the Forum and to manage content.

Calling the rules nonsensical is disrespectful and inappropriate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@overdrank: I think the value lies in people finding those old threads via search engines, exactly how I did, and then finding out of date information and no link to anything more recent.

@KiwiNZ: Are you suggesting my use of the word "nonsensical" is somehow offensive, or are you merely saying that "dissent" is "disrespectful and inappropriate"?
    Love & joy - Callum

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    This is a moderated Forum, you agree to these conditions. Staff make decision based on the bigger picture, goals of the Forum and to manage content.
    It often seems quite over-moderated. No offense intended, but that's something I've been thinking about a lot lately. Afraid to say anything about it because I don't want to come across wrong and offend anybody and get in trouble.

But, you're right, we agree to the conditions, so we have to abide by the rules and the decisions of the staff.

Still, I generally agree with the OP, and I wish threads didn't have to be locked so often. I understand the reasoning behind it, at least sometimes, but it does seem to make these forums less enjoyable than they could be.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast