Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Hoary ClearType-like fonts

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOWTO: Hoary ClearType-like fonts

Quote Originally Posted by Diego F.
    Can I get this with Warty? I'm having problems with my resolution and with fonts.

Is a good idea migrating to Hoary?

Yes on 6th of April....tough if you want much to try it out....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by basse1989
    Are you guys crazy? Why don't you install windows instead? Who would want their ubuntu installation to look like windows?

I think ubuntu works GREAT as it is (read my signature).
    You obviously didn't read this very well did you? We're talking about fonts here.

Even the most die-hard *nix geek will tell you that X has not been the best when it comes to font rendering and will admit Windows has generally always done it better.

This doesn't mean any of us want Linux to be like Windows....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by angrykeyboarder
    You obviously didn't read this very well did you? We're talking about fonts here.

Even the most die-hard *nix geek will tell you that X has not been the best when it comes to font rendering and will admit Windows has generally always done it better.

This doesn't mean any of us want Linux to be like Windows....
    Windows font rendering looks ugly, ugly. But fonts in any linux distro I've ever tried have always looked nice. Same in OS X. Windows does most things ugly.
    I love my ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!

Windows font rendering looks ugly, ugly. But fonts in any linux distro I've ever tried have always looked nice. Same in OS X. Windows does most things ugly.
    Supporting basse's opinion. Have you guys ever entered the forums from a Windows machine ? it looks so ugly ..

I still use the old ~/.fonts.conf trick to bold things a little bit, but I don't think angrykeyboarder is right when he says Win looks better *ugh* .
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bored2k
    Supporting basse's opinion. Have you guys ever entered the forums from a Windows machine ? it looks so ugly ..

I still use the old ~/.fonts.conf trick to bold things a little bit, but I don't think angrykeyboarder is right when he says Win looks better *ugh* .
    Now we are 2 to 1.
    I love my ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thumbs down Re: HOWTO: Hoary ClearType-like fonts

Quote Originally Posted by bored2k

What can I tell you. I've experienced just the opposite and I'm not alone. I will say X has come a long way over the past several years in the way of decent font rendering.

I've also got the balls to say that Mac OS does things better than others, Windows does things better than others and GNU/Linux does things better than others.

No OS is perfect. I personally love the freedom and tweaking you get with Linux but sometimes I gotta boot into Windows cuz "Linux can't do that...." (yet).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Is it starting to get hot in here?

First impression on fonts at least on ubuntu, fonts dont look to great. Meaning they need some tweaking. But i will say this after spending sometime on ubuntu or any other linux distro, go and check what windows looks like. The letters look kind of blurred out, and it looks horrible. This is my experience, i just see linux distros have more smoothed display than windows. Well that was my input.

edit: not really supporting this
    Are you guys crazy? Why don't you install windows instead? Who would want their ubuntu installation to look like windows?

ubuntu is all about freedom, if you dont like this dont do it, but dont critize others for doing it. Also i think this makes my fonts twice fold in quality, even if its hard to believe there are somethings windows has done right.
    Last edited by cdhotfire; March 31st, 2005 at 10:25 PM.
    Excuse for excessive game playing, #4:
    "Game? No, I think this is some kind of
    computer virus that has taken over the screen.
    I've been trying to get rid of it all day."

Beans

I agree with basse1980, I love the way Ubuntu looks. I love my Gnome2. and I really love not using windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Just followed the instructions to add Tahoma system-wide. However, GTK1 still refuses to recognize Tahoma. Whenever I pull up a GTK1 program in console, it comes up with this error:

Code:
    The font "-microsoft-tahoma-medium-r-normal-*-14-*-*-*-p-*-*" does not support all the required character sets for the current locale "C"
      (Missing character set "ISO8859-1")
    What's up with that?

EDIT: nevermind, X server restart did the trick.
    Last edited by NeoChaosX; April 1st, 2005 at 02:18 AM.
    What's wrong with closed and open source co-exisiting?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

thanks, this is a great guide, my desktop is looking great now

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast